• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual to Auto swap (peugot to AW4) on a RENIX?

61scout80

NAXJA Forum User
I have spent a few hours searching but I'm not finding what i need.

Does anyone have a parts list of everything you need to take from the donor vehicle?

My XJ is a 1987 4.0 5 speed.
the donor is a 1990 4.0 auto.

So far I hope to get the trans, shifter, wiring harness and flywheel. I asked the seller for the harness and everything from the crank to where the tcase bolts up. I'm assuming aside from the wiring it is a fairly straight forward swap....

I know i will need to install a trans cooler. What size would be needed? I intend to add one instead of swapping radiators. I know the throttle body is different for the kick down cable. The throttle position sensor is would also need to be converted. What else am i missing?

I would love to read how the procedure went for those that did the swap, or if you have a link to a write up i'm not finding please share it!

I find more people ragging on the guys that want an auto than i find good info. Yes, we know many of you prefer the standard. I prefer a standard in most vehicles, but i want an automatic in my XJ. If you would like to further discuss that subject let's keep it to a different thread.

Thanks!!!

You also want the TCU and possibly even the ECU. You may want to refer to Char-Broil's thread on doing the reverse conversion, it'll give you an idea of what other things you'll need to change.

EDIT: oh hey, it just got uploaded as a FAQ writeup! http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013850

Last edited:
That appears to be a real good writeup kastein linked for you.

Only other thing I can think of is if you want the Park Lock function--trans must be in Park to remove the key--you will want to grab the steering column and Park-Lock cable assembly too.

That appears to be a real good writeup kastein linked for you.

Only other thing I can think of is if you want the Park Lock function--trans must be in Park to remove the key--you will want to grab the steering column and Park-Lock cable assembly too.

Well, I'm not interested in either. I don't have either feature now so i'll be looking for a bypass on those anyway...

I'm also not too concerned about the pedals, they are plentiful in the junk yards if i change my mind.

I just don't want to overlook something. I was really hoping someone that has been through the manual to auto swap chimed in....

Last edited:
You'll need the dual-output TPS, the power/comfort switch, the extra switch that geos on the brake pedal, the trans computer, and some wiring skills to plumb in the dozen or so wires into the underhood wiring harness. A FSM with a wiring schematic will be most helpful in figuring out where all the wires go. Stuff like constant power, ign power, ground, the power/comfort switch, the brake pedal switch, etc.

On the mechanical side, you'll want the big metal base plate that the shifter sits on and covers up the manua shifter hole, trim pieces around the shifter, xfer case linkage rod and bracket are likely different - they were when I swapped an AW4 in for a AX15. Output shaft spline count might be different. I think the 90 AW4 will be 21 spline. Drive shaft length may be different enough to warrant a change.

Of course, you should ask yourself the magic question. Is it worth the time and effort? If you don't have a few _long_ weekends to get everything working it might be simpler to trade up to a newer XJ that has what you want.

You also want the TCU and possibly even the ECU. You may want to refer to Char-Broil's thread on doing the reverse conversion, it'll give you an idea of what other things you'll need to change.

EDIT: oh hey, it just got uploaded as a FAQ writeup! http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013850

An 87 engine computer is completely unaware of the trans computer, so no need to swap that. The only diagnostic connection is to the big yellow plug under the hood.

Later OBDI auto models will throw a code if it can't talk to the tcu or the tcu reports an error. For a manual->auto swap that's not an issue anyway.

You'll need the dual-output TPS, the power/comfort switch, the extra switch that geos on the brake pedal, the trans computer, and some wiring skills to plumb in the dozen or so wires into the underhood wiring harness. A FSM with a wiring schematic will be most helpful in figuring out where all the wires go. Stuff like constant power, ign power, ground, the power/comfort switch, the brake pedal switch, etc.

On the mechanical side, you'll want the big metal base plate that the shifter sits on and covers up the manua shifter hole, trim pieces around the shifter, xfer case linkage rod and bracket are likely different - they were when I swapped an AW4 in for a AX15. Output shaft spline count might be different. I think the 90 AW4 will be 21 spline. Drive shaft length may be different enough to warrant a change.

Of course, you should ask yourself the magic question. Is it worth the time and effort? If you don't have a few _long_ weekends to get everything working it might be simpler to trade up to a newer XJ that has what you want.

I ended up with the flywheel, transmission, shifter, shifter base plate, engine wiring harness, torque converter, and fluid lines.
I do not have the TCU, power/comfort switch, brake pedal switch or TPS.
I need to check the spline count with the tcase i intend to use, that could be a deal breaker....

What does the brake pedal switch control?

My intentions are to pull an entire throttle body from the junk yard as well as a TCU. I'll have to grab the power/comfort switch from there too. I would also like to incorporate a trans control like the ones AWshifting used to offer.

I really do see your point about just buying one that is already an auto. I'm still not 100% convinced i want to do this swap and even made sure the seller understood that he may see me listing it all for sale if i don't use it.

thanks for your input, i appreciate your time.

Mine was converted before I bought it. If you want I can take some pictures of the various bits and pieces that I noticed were changed over....

that would be a huge help!

Let me get some batteries in the digi-cam and I will take some pictures.

The main thing I have noticed isd the connection for the brake light switch. The TCC unlock solenoid and brake light switch look to be identical on OE auto vehicles.

My TCC wires are spliced into the brake light switch so the TCC unlocks when the brake pedal is depressed. This works as it should.

All my other connections look like they are OE stuff, so that's the only thing I could see that is different.

Back