• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Continuous smoking??

Reclipse

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 Cherokee, motor has 234,xxx miles, 4x4, auto, etc....Well it has devoloped a nasty habit, it smokes, ALL THE TIME, I believe it is grey smoke. The spark plugs have a black sout around them, it doesn't seem to lose oil, not that I can tell. I dont know how the gas milage is cause I have yet to drive it since I bought it.
I really started to notice the smoke after I did a tune up, It ran beautifully before, now it does run better, still have some minor issues though.
Compression testedwent as followed:
#1&6-145
#2-5-155
Cannot do a leak down test cause I dont have the equipment.
Replaced the valve stem seals, cleaned the IAC, CPS, Did the seafoam thing(thats is what I think is causing the smoke, mainly want to see what what you guys think). Yes, it smoked before seafoam and I did add some more gas to dilute it more, but it still seems like it smokes quite a bit. It has newer injectors and the fuel pressure is about 34(39 with vacuum disconected). The fuel was sitting for a year roughly, I believe I got most of it out and put some fresh fuel in.

Is there anything that I am missing or am I just gonna have to wait for the seafoam to work itself out? Any ideas are always welcomed..

You know thats what I was thinking, just trying to avoid that since this was only really suppoe to be a fun in the mountain vehicle. But Im thinking I may just break down and have them analyze it, thank you for you help.

I know for a fact its not white though, it is a grey haze that just likes to linger, thats why I'm really thinking its the seafoam, but I guess we will see. Thanks again.

Thanks Joe, Ill check those tonight. The only exhaust leak that it has is at the connection for the manifold and piping, I guess I can also check the O2 sensor for good measures.

Simple obvious question but how long did you let it run after you added the sea-foam? It will smoke for a long while after you add that. Keep letting it run until the smoke stops.

Thanks Joe, Ill check those tonight. The only exhaust leak that it has is at the connection for the manifold and piping, I guess I can also check the O2 sensor for good measures.
A leak in front of the O2 sensor can fool the sensor and tell the ECU to richen the mixture.

Since your smoking all the time, it isn't intake valve guides, and you said you did seals anyway. The compression looks good, but you could still have crappy oil rings on the pistons, but if they all look the same, that is not likely.

It really sounds like you are simply running too rich.

Check your air filter and make sure it isn't clogged.

Air Filter is good and new, and yes all plugs look the same. I am leaning toward what you guys have been saying, I maybe drive it around the block once or twice and the rest of the time I let it idle and race the engine every now and then. I have maybe let it run thirty min at the most a day for I want to say 7 days, and in that time I have gone through about 4 gallons of gas, Im guessing running really rich. I Believe the leak is after the O2 sensor.
I originally thought the rings, but like you said old, the plugs show equal and the smoke does not give in at all, the more gas I give the more it smokes, I let off the gas it lightens up but never goes away.
It just gets me cause when I bought it, it drove just beautifully for 20 min then the CPS gave out, so I had to tow it how, replaced it and it started right up and sounded just as good. So I went and got everything for a tune up, and the guy behind the counter gave me the stuff for a 97, the real problems were the plugs and the rotor. I didnt realize that was the case till I installed the plugs, they slip right in but are a little longer so I took them back got the correct stuff, after that is when I noticed the smoking. Its probably coincidence, the other stuff maybe just went bad during that time.
Sorry for the long post, just felt like sharing my frustration, I just want to enjoy a jeep off-road, thats what they are intended for. Ill let you guys know the my findings on the sensors. Thanks again.

And Mr Bundy, I let it run for a while, maybe not long eough, but I looked online for cars that got seafoamed and its the same type of smoke that those cars had, but I was hoping adding more gas would lighten it up, but I guess I need to just fill the beast up or add more than three gallons. Yep Im pretty stupid at times, Im just gonna drive it to work for a week and let everyone enjoy the smoke screen behind me!!

So does it seem to run OK? No bucking or bogging?

A MAP sensor could cause this as well, but normally they have drivability issues if they go bad.

No it drives fine, shifts a little rough but I took off the TPS to clean the throttle body and after I did that it seems to have a delay reaction when I press the throttle down when it is cold only. When it warms up it drives actually very nice and since I cleaned out the IAC, it doesnt die when I drive it anymore. I know I still have to adjust the TPS, that I have not done yet.

Another new problem, intake backfire or popping in the intake. This happens when it idles then I suddenly open the throttle, it has a delay reaction then it finally starts rising the rpms, when the rpms are rising I let go of the throttle and the quickly give it some more gas, thats usually the time it starts to pop. The other times is when I suddenly give it gas it will pop sometimes. Any Ideas?

Back