• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
1990 jeep 4.0

the jeep has been sitting for only a week and it wont fire up.

i changed all the plugs, wires, cap and rotor about 4 months ago. the jeep has been running fine but i went out to start it and no it wont run. it will turn over but it wont fire at all. i took the cap off and it was dry. any ideas?

Check the static voltage between the battery terminals--s/b about 12.5 volts; then check the voltage between the terminals when cranking and post back the results.

also once mine wouldnt start on the trails it turned out to be fuel system shut down removed neg cable and let it reset started back up. also could be you cps (crank position sensor) if it goes it will not start for crap had that prob too.

Modern Automotive LIfe (MAL--I just made that up) begins with the battery.

The starting system of most vehicles is (are?) ignorant--it will perform adequately with low voltage as long as the amps are there. However, the modern electronics will usualy fail to function when supply VOLTAGE drops to less than 9 v. Plenty of amps to crank, but it won't start.

Quick fix? Replace everything and hope it starts.

Back