• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front 44 ???

jasonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
does anybody know of someone that used a ford 44 with cast wedges and cut them off ? and put on all the brackets that you would need for the xj ? pic's ? i know i should'nt do it :twak: but i'am :nono:

The problem with the cast wedges are there is no axle tube inside of them. If you were to cut the cast wedges off, you would then have an axle that is way too narrow to use.
The only use of a '78-'79 cast wedges would be if you were going to run the Ford Radius arm. Otherwise don't waste your time with it.

You can re-tube the axle. Currie Enterprises can do it, or , if you're capable, you can do it. Contact shops in your locale to se if they will/can press in new tubes.
It would be easier to use a pre-'78 axle , but that may be difficult to find.
I went the '79/Currie route--$350 to re-tube, plus shipping axle. I couldn't find a pre-'79 in my zip code for less than $1000!

I couldn't find a pre-'79 in my zip code for less than $1000!

What is everyone in CA smoking?
I don't think I can believe the fact that people were trying to sell bone stock 44's for $1000.

And $350 to retube the axle? I paid $175 for my '77 HP44 complete and ready to bolt into a Ford truck. It even had recent brakes done.

I have a HPd44 with weld on wedges, and the matching 9" out of a Bronco that I am trying to sell for $400 for the set. However, I am in Arkansas.

I agree with Begster either use the wedges with some radius arms or don't mess with it.

I have seen a few rigs running radius arms with some nice heim joints on the end and they worked pretty good. One was a MJ it flex nice, seem to hold up pretty well and went any where he wanted it to go.

I was in shock to see how much people think there shit is worth here in Cali.
As for what there smokin, it is harvest season....

What is everyone in CA smoking?
I don't think I can believe the fact that people were trying to sell bone stock 44's for $1000.

And $350 to retube the axle? I paid $175 for my '77 HP44 complete and ready to bolt into a Ford truck. It even had recent brakes done.

I paid $150 in California for my F100 axle. Just have to be patient and look for good deals. :dunno:

I paid $150 in California for my F100 axle. Just have to be patient and look for good deals. :dunno:

I spent 6 mos cruising the "web", in-state JYs, friends, local rags, etc. JY's were all in the $500-600 range (so I exaggerated at $1000:doh:). None of these were pre-'78. A few guys, with more time or patience than me , and living in different areas of the country/state may have better luck--good on them. Shipping costs are major!! So, if you can't find one within a day's drive, the expense goes up quick. I found mine (a '79) through a friend of a friend--had to drive 4 hrs round trip, and still cost me $100.

I paid $100 for a 77 f150 axle complete :)

As much as MA sucks to live in...I don't feel so bad now :D

I'm running an 88 with radius arms. It is definately a simple and cheaper way to go. I wristed the drivers side. Other than needing a center limiting strap, I couldn't like it more.

well i have a pair already and all i am going to do is cut the wedge part off and make it round again and weld the new modified coil-l.c.a brackets on !? just needed info or pic's ? thanks

No offense man... but can you PLEASE learn to use punctuation properly? I can barely read your posts without screaming.

well i have a pair already and all i am going to do is cut the wedge part off and make it round again and weld the new modified coil-l.c.a brackets on !? just needed info or pic's ? thanks

how do you plan on "making it round again"?

if you're hell-bent on using that axle, why not just take the easiest route and use the stock ford radius arms?? since this clearly sounds like it will be hacked either way

Hey....nothing hacked about the radius arm setup. It wheels great. I can't find a downside. The longer arm length makes it ride a lot smoother.

Back