• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crusie control in my XJ?

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i was at the local JY today and thanks to cash for clunkers there are three absolutely pristine XJs in the lot. One has the up country package and has crusie control. (dont worry ive already checked for skids, theyre gone).

But i was wondering how hard it would be to take the cruise control from this XJ and put it in mine. I know i need the switches on the steering wheel and the mechanical device on the passenger side fender of the engine compartment. What do i need to wire up? if anything? and are the switches already pre wired into my steering column?

any information would be greatly appreciated.

-brendan

so i looked in my FSM and it looks like i need the servo, the servo cable, the vaccum line to the servo, and the switches on the steering wheel. my question is, do i have the wiring in the steering wheel and the electronic conector that goes into the servo?

is this an easy addition to my jeep?

thanks
-Brendan

do a search. someone just did this last (?)2-3 months. seems like it had to be same year switches to work or something.

Good luck,
Orange

so it looks like i was getting some different information on my search.

1) is there a difference in cruise control setups between the 97+ vehicles? like 99-01 was different than the others?

2) also it looks like i need the clock spring as well, so my clock spring that i have in my 2001s steering wheel isnt the clock spring i need correct?

so i need the servo, servo cable, clock spring, and both sets of switches. is that all?

Funny you mention that, I'm in the exact same situation. Mine has an empty plug near where the servo goes along with a capped vacuum tee. My fix for needing the steering wheel and clockspring both is probably gonna be just grabbing a whole tilt column as mine is tiltless. It's a very easy thing to remove on a 97+.

Not to try and plug my work, but if it helps.
Baxter auto parts sells a aftermarket cruise control
Its 116bucks, but is E-Z to put in.

Doing the same thing on my 00xj. You are right, you need the servo, which will use the plug and the capped vacuum tee you found. You will also need the buttons as mentioned, and the clockspring. I bought a used CS off ebay and found it does not work. :gonnablow I think the airbag had been deployed. Used a simple ohm meter on the pinouts to determine that some of the wires must be broken internally. On the plus side, like you said, there are plenty of these vehicles at the JY with cruise. The JY near me wants $15 for the CS.:loveu:

Yeah, just gut one of the JY XJs. It'll cost you a lot less than 116 bucks probably, and will be OEM-perfect. The switch panel (at least on pre-97) just screws in with two Phillips head self tappers instead of a blank plate, so you won't have to replace your steering wheel afaik. I don't know if you will need to upgrade the wiring harness that the clockspring connects to, but I would suspect no - check a parts catalog and see if the relevant wiring harness has a "with cruise" and "without cruise" option.

Other than that, everything's already been said.

Brendan which yard is this?

its a secret :)

jk, its JBs salvage in bloomington. they have a couple pristine XJs out there. all 97+. one grey interior, or charcoal and one beige

you need something i can grab it for you?

How are the front door panels on the beige interior. Mine are destroyed. If you go again send me a picture of them, you have my number.

i probably wont be able to get there until monday. if i recall correctly they are in good shape. they have black plastic over the switches for the windows which im not sure if thats how they normally come. but i can take a look and get a quote from the guys for ya

i probably wont be able to get there until monday. if i recall correctly they are in good shape. they have black plastic over the switches for the windows which im not sure if thats how they normally come. but i can take a look and get a quote from the guys for ya

Right on man, Just text me if you find out anything about them.

Not to try and plug my work, but if it helps.
Baxter auto parts sells a aftermarket cruise control
Its 116bucks, but is E-Z to put in.

Got a link? I couldn't find it on their site.

i have the cruise control installed in my XJ but i cant seem to get it to activate. any idea why it wont work? i thought i had it all wired up correctly and the actuator is installed. so i dont know whats up with it

A vacuum leak can cause that, among other things - do you have proper vacuum at the solenoid?

Other problems include bad connections at the clockspring, gummy switches, and something to do with the vacuum break switch on the brake pedal that I am pretty sure disables cruise when you hit the brakes. Wish I could help more but that's all I can think of.

A vacuum leak can cause that, among other things - do you have proper vacuum at the solenoid?

Other problems include bad connections at the clockspring, gummy switches, and something to do with the vacuum break switch on the brake pedal that I am pretty sure disables cruise when you hit the brakes. Wish I could help more but that's all I can think of.

Also Brendan Do you have the big vacuum canister? It comes on the Models with cruise. I have one you can have whenever I come to swap my parts in.

ps - really sorry about forgetting to mention the vac break switch when you asked what you'd need, I completely forgot it even existed. I can't find it in the parts catalog for a 94-96 though, so it may only exist on the older models... not really sure.

i dont have the switch, but if i know what it looks like i can grab it from the donor XJ.

and flex, the XJ i grabbed the crusie setup from had the same smaller vacuum ball as my XJ

Back