• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump Steer with Currie Steering?

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm driving myself crazy here thinking about steering setups. I'd love to run a heim style steering setup, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to mount my trac bar to be parallel with the drag link. My only other option is to run the inverted y style setup like currie and stock.

The question is, at what point in the travel do you start getting bump steer? Being an inverted Y setup, when it droops is HAS to start changing toe at some point. Anybody with currie steering feel like disconnecting their shocks / straps and finding out for me?

Or is my thought process wrong here? Will it just swing along side the trac bar and go with the axle?

It should swing with it, but your toe will change.

Also, on a more lifted rig, when you droop it can overextend the travel of the draglink end at the pitman arm. When you droop fast, it can really tear it up.

I know you don't drive fast, so that shouldnt be a problem.

I suppose you could do an offset pitman arm, but may still have problems with the TRE at the passenger side knuckle.

img363.gif

BulletProof sells the pitman arms made to order, but I recall them being about 3 bills a piece.

on a tie rod end?

Sorry I meant if I did a heim setup. I suppose you're right about the TRE thing. Not to mention Currie TRE's are their own TRE, which is a horrible idea, because in their attempt at squeezing every last penny out of a customer they're losing quite a few who don't want to go through the hassle of ordering extra TRE's from Currie.

i saw swing set steering on a coil overed TJ in big bear. thought it was interesting since its done on primarily i beamed rangers

Seriously? Any pictures?

I have the Currie setup, I don't use it for speed though so I can't really attest to bump steer at a point in travel.

Currie has like 3 or 4 JeepSpeed rigs IIRC, and they all of course run Currie steering. I think if it sucked (getting bump steer during travel), they'd probably make something else that was just for JeepSpeed crowd that would be better for it. But I'm just speculating. Maybe that would be against class rules or something?

Just curious why you're worried about bump steer? Are you getting bump steer now with travel? Can u fix what u got now so that it wont? Have you heard other JeepSpeeders complain about it before? Never heard of this being an issue before. But what do I know, I just like the rox.

Have you posted this over on Jeepspeed to see what they say?

I have the Currie setup, I don't use it for speed though so I can't really attest to bump steer at a point in travel.

Currie has like 3 or 4 JeepSpeed rigs IIRC, and they all of course run Currie steering. I think if it sucked (getting bump steer during travel), they'd probably make something else that was just for JeepSpeed crowd that would be better for it. But I'm just speculating. Maybe that would be against class rules or something?

Just curious why you're worried about bump steer? Are you getting bump steer now with travel? Can u fix what u got now so that it wont? Have you heard other JeepSpeeders complain about it before? Never heard of this being an issue before. But what do I know, I just like the rox.

Oh I'm sure it works great for their Jeepspeeds. However they're also strapped at 10" of travel. I'll be running around 14" on a coilover setup and am worried about it. Bump steer is a major issue in the go fast crowd, you hit wrong and you can wad the front end up and cause SERIOUS damage. Right now I'm still running stock steering, but that's obviously going with all the new ish I'm doing.

Have you posted this over on Jeepspeed to see what they say?

That's why I posted here :D And they're only running 10" of travel, this is a prerunner with 14" of front travel.

Sorry I meant if I did a heim setup. I suppose you're right about the TRE thing.

Yeah, if you're going to shift gears on me at least make noises like you're running higher RPM's (since we all know your junk doesnt run..).

I personally would rather run a high angle DLE like the 1 ton ford stuff than a heim, but you're on the right track there I guess.

Look at the steering on Goatmans buggy sometime, he seems to have it pretty figured out. He's running an over the knuckle inverted Y with rod ends.

Oh I'm sure it works great for their Jeepspeeds. However they're also strapped at 10" of travel. I'll be running around 14" on a coilover setup and am worried about it. Bump steer is a major issue in the go fast crowd, you hit wrong and you can wad the front end up and cause SERIOUS damage. Right now I'm still running stock steering, but that's obviously going with all the new ish I'm doing.

That's why I posted here :D And they're only running 10" of travel, this is a prerunner with 14" of front travel.

I didnt realize you were running 14" of travel. You will probably end up having to run high angle DLE's at both ends, on top of high steer.

The downside is the high angle DLE's didnt seem to last as long as other ends when I ran them on my black rig.. but;

1) autozone warranty. I had two sets and just kept warranty'ing them out.

2) I drove like a maniac.

Sorry I meant if I did a heim setup. I suppose you're right about the TRE thing. Not to mention Currie TRE's are their own TRE, which is a horrible idea, because in their attempt at squeezing every last penny out of a customer they're losing quite a few who don't want to go through the hassle of ordering extra TRE's from Currie.

Seriously? Any pictures?

Actually, a Currie HD TRE is 22mm, not the 7/8" that they claim. So a ZJ TRE should go right on. When I called them on it (delayed my steering upgrade), their answer was "well its close enough".

i saw swing set steering on a coil overed TJ in big bear. thought it was interesting since its done on primarily i beamed rangers

That would have extreme toe change through the cycle. I could not imagine why anyone would do that.

We have the Currie setup on our racer. We set toe at ride height, and in some pics you can see the wheels toe'd in, but it isn't enough to affect handling. However, as you droop further, the condition will become more pronounced and you will get even more toe for each inch of droop.

Whether or not it would work depends on where in your travel you are sitting at ride height.

No pics but it for sure had it. why it caught my eye. ill see what i can dig up. swing set steering on a XJ would be bad ass haha

pretty sure you could setup a single swing that would work.

Last edited:
I think if you were going to pull that much travel you should run a wj/tera knuckle for tres or BTF bracket for heims. I have been thinking of building something similar to the BTF bracket but move the draglink more in line with the tie rod and run them both off the same bolt but both in double sheer. I hope that makes as much sense in writing as it does in my head.

Travis built the steering on the Jeepspeed we are redoing,heims and high misalignment spacers.There is no bumpsteer in the 10" of travel,14" should be minimal.He was thinking of doing a different pitman arm but has not gotten around to it.Jim I think I emailed you some steering pics a while back.

swing set steering on a XJ would be bad ass haha

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why...

pretty sure you could setup a single swing that would work.

Again, not sure why. That is like taking the successful cross-over setup and working a Rube Goldberg on it.

Swingset on a solid axle sounds like it would not travel at all and bind like a mother-effer. Are you sure it wasn't full hydro or hydro assist you were looking at.

Back