• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shop recomendation for gears in Dallas

Cody90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I guess the tile says it all.

I'm finally ready to get the gears (4.88) installed in my '00 XJ with 35's. I checked around at a couple of places and seem to get some wildly different estimates on how much this is going to be. Anyone have a known shop that can help me out? Honestly, I'm real excited to get this done but, I don't want the shop experience to piss me off because they did something weird.

BTW, I just got the my Ruffstuff diff covers in the mail and all I can say is these things are awesome. I think I may just shoot them with a clear coat and leave the raw metal look.

One thing I never see mentioned when talking about shops are community colleges.

Our local college has an automotive program. When they are working on a particular section, transmission, axles, etc., they will work on the public's vehicles for parts and a small shop fee.

The community college programs are taught by master techs with years of experience.

I wouldn't have as much trust in a high school program, unless it was at a charter school.

Just food for thought.

I dropped my ride off at Creative Style and Performance in McKinney. Should have it back in a couple of days. Putting a Lock-Rite in the front while they have it apart.

Can't wait to get it back.

Got the Rig back today and drove the 50 or so miles back to the house. All I can say is wow what a differnece in how it drives and handles the hills and such on the highway. I can wait to get the gears fully broken in and then hit the trails with it.

I did put it in 4-lo and drive in some, what I thought was going to be slightly damp dirt. Turned out it was full on Mud with grass on the top. The 4-lo felt great but, I really couldn't put much power down with all the mud. Funny part was I stopped and put it into 2-hi and it just spun the rear tires. Stopped and put it back into 4wd and it pulled right out without any proublems.

So far so good. As far as the shop is concerned it seems like Creative Style and Performance is a good shop.

Back