• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identifying a 29 spline 8.25

SrDesigner

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to visually tell the difference between a 27 and 29 spline version, without knowing what year it came off of? I've found several deals where the axles are laying on the ground and are claimed to be 1996 or newer (supposedly 29 spline) but I'm leary of paying for one, only to find that it only has 27 splines....

Anybody know how to tell?

Sr

Also: I'm wondering if there was a break in the year that they went to 29 splines. Everything that I've been reading 1996 was the break...so are all the 96 axles, 29 spline, or is it 1997 and up only?

I really need a new rear axle and don't want to get anything less than 29 splines, otherwise I'm probably better off having my D35 rebuilt...

Thanks again!

Sr

good lord man... search... no theres no visual difference in the 27 to 29 spline 8.25's if it's 96 it could have either or, if it's 97 up it's got 29 iirc

and a 27 spline 8.25 is worlds better then a d35 so it's better then what you have now at least.

good lord man....I was asking if there were VISUAL differences that I might be able to notice! When shopping for these I've noticed that the axles are laying on the ground, or in a rack.....no visible DATES of manufacture are present. I can tell the difference between a D44, D35, 9" ford, 8.8 ford and generally 8.25....but I was wondering if there were any identifiable differences between 27 and 29 spline Chrysler 8.25's...without removing the cover and spilling oil all over the place. I'm perfectly OK with finding out that there may no be, but I'd be stupid not to ask all you tolerant gurus, if there was some kind of casting difference, or a number stamped, or a little bump here or there, or a frigging flag that say's 29 splines...or whatever!

I'll bet I've done more research and reading on this forum, than just about anyone you could name....finally decided to aske a question....geeeesh

No, there is no visual difference between the two. 27 spline is much weaker than the 29 mainly because the neck down area is much thinner than the 29. It is actually even thinner than the 35 and I'm not sure just how much the stronger case makes up for it when it comes to overall strenght. So you should bite the bulet and pull the cover to get what you want. Of course all 27s can be updated to 29s with the proper carrier, gears and shafts.

mflueras,

Thank you for your response. I just had to ask, just in case....I'm not sure that I trust the wrecking yards around here and the ones that say they have 8.25's, within driving distance, have already pulled them from the vehicle's...so I'm at their mercy to disclose the proper year of the axle...I may just keep watching for someone to part one out, that way I'd be sure of the year.

Thanks again!

As far a I know, all the 97+ 8.25s have the 29 spline axle shafts. 96s you'll have to pull the diff cover and start counting. Just go 97+ to be safe

based on this info I have a what must be a 29 spline one under the wrecked 2000 year sitting in my driveway if your interested, it only had 96k on it.

Dave

He's a couple large states away from you... I'd hate to see the shipping quote.

Back