• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nubbie Decision

SrDesigner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 with AX15 and 3:07 gearing. I also just recently aquired a set of axles from a 87 with 4:10's. My Jeep has ABS brakes.

My plan is to do a Bastard lift to achieve 3" and run 31's. I'm not planning on anything higher, or any larger tires...I have a bunch of kids and the rig is a DD and used a few times a year to go hunting.

I'm contemplating using the whole 1987, D35 with 4:10 gears, for the back, and having the front gears swapped out for the D30 4:10's from the Disco D30 doner (I don't think swaping the whole axle is a good idea).

I've found nothing about ditching the ABS in a 1999 era Cherokee. So, I'm nervous about swapping anything until I feel like I can get rid of the ABS.

I figure I can swap out the D35's in my yard, bleed the brakes, disable the ABS, and then drive (front drive-line removed) to the guy that can swap the gears in the front (somewhere around $300).

The other option that I've considered was picking up a 8.25 that already has 4:10 gearing. And keeping the plan for the front swap the same...

I surely wish that I knew someone around here that knew something about Cherokee's, to talk to. There's so little around here for support. No shops, no part's houses...no nothing. I have lift issues too, but I'll stick to the gearing for now..

Thanks for reading my sorted tail

Welcome to NAXJA! Looks like a good economical plan you have there, if you're indeed going to cap it at 31's. You might just want to throw the whole front axle in though and save the $300 on swapping the gears. Used sets are notoriously hard to set up quiet as you have to mate the wear patterns perfectly. You'd just need to add a vacuum switch or mechanically lock the disconnect for install into the 99.

The ABS system works like standard brakes when it's disconnected. If you were really worried about it you could just remove the hydraulic control unit and replace with hard lines.

So the big gaping wound of a hole that the disco leaves isn't a "big" deal, as far as strength? I was most concerned with that...I read somewhere about replacing the two piece axle with a single and putting on a substantial cover...Oh, it's in my XJ builders book.

I really appreciate you're responding. I feel like a child in the wilderness right now.

Sr

If you want a budget lift, go rusty's LEAF PACKS. They cost more than add-a-leafs, you may have issues with stuck leaf bolts and get them installed at a shop, but they ride a lot better than the AAL (basically a super stiff spring that provides lift, and a rough ride).

I did run their 2" coil spacer AAL kit and it was pretty good though. Also you avoid any complications with driveline vibration. I had vibes with the stock driveshaft with a 3.5" lift so after killing off a ujoint I got a Slip Yoke Eliminator and front driveshaft out of another XJ. Being a DIY kind of guy, or having gearhead friends, makes this MUCH easier, and WAY less expensive.

Do it right the first time. Bastid packs may give you more lift than you want, rougher ride, etc....

I figured on using the 1987 XJ main leaf as my second, in the pack. Since I already have the freebee parts, I didn't think I could go too wrong. Also read on this forum about using Grand springs for the front for ~2" of lift up there...CC784 CarQuest springs. If I couldn't get all 2" with the rear springs, I planned on getting shackles to make up the difference...

Thanks for all your help.

I'll check into the NW NAXJA bunch. I scanned the postings and didn't notice many folks from my neck of the woods.

Sr

I figured on using the 1987 XJ main leaf as my second, in the pack. Since I already have the freebee parts, I didn't think I could go too wrong. Also read on this forum about using Grand springs for the front for ~2" of lift up there...CC784 CarQuest springs. If I couldn't get all 2" with the rear springs, I planned on getting shackles to make up the difference...

Thanks for all your help.

I'll check into the NW NAXJA bunch. I scanned the postings and didn't notice many folks from my neck of the woods.

Sr

Be sure and get the V8 grand coils, and I think they will get you about 1 1/2", so you may need to add another stock spacer. Do a search over in MOD tech for more info on lifts.

For the front I'd swap in the whole axle and just reinstall your original shafts, unit bearings and ALL brake hardware. Doing that will eliminate the need to bleed brakes. The "big gaping hole" is'nt a strength issue, I made a cover for it out of diamond plate, silicone it and your done.

What's a "nubbie?" Is that someone missing and arm/leg/hand/foot?

What's a "nubbie?" Is that someone missing and arm/leg/hand/foot?

It is just like a "chubbie", only shorter?

Bad. Really, really bad. :gag:

For the front I'd swap in the whole axle and just reinstall your original shafts, unit bearings and ALL brake hardware. Doing that will eliminate the need to bleed brakes. The "big gaping hole" is'nt a strength issue, I made a cover for it out of diamond plate, silicone it and your done.
Can you do that with the brake hardware? The entire knuckle design changed, and the brakes themselves certainly look different. I haven't compared the two, but I would be surprised if a 99 caliper fit on an 87 bracket. I'm not sure whether or not you can do a knuckle transplant either, because the ball joint design also changed. Later models use a sliding upper joint, rather than a screwed in seat. What I don't know is whether or not the change is reflected in the axle tube or only in the knuckle itself. Either way, though, trying to put 99 brakes on an 87 axle seems like a serious challenge. Way more trouble than bleeding.

Back