• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy Axle Question

x2elite

NAXJA Forum User
Are the J10 axles and Waggy axles the same? I can pick up a set of Axles out of a 79 J10 on the cheap, but I wanted to make sure they would be a good swap for my XJ.

Well crap..... Hmmmmm....... I may not get them then. They are in Shreveport, and it would just be an hour drive to scoop them up, but I don't know a whole lot about them. My current plans were to use a D44/9" combo out of a bronco.

I know that the 74, 75, and 76 Jeep Grand Wagoneer has a driver side drop and the front measurs 60.75 not sure what the back measures. But that would be a good swap for front and rear Dana 44s.

Could have gotten them for $100, but I just looked it up, and they are passenger side diff on the front axle. So its not going to work for an XJ.

The rear would be junk as well. Any FSJ 74-79 had an offset rear axle as well.

Not the Grand Wagoneer it was centered as far as I know the 74, 75, and 76 had the rear centered.

Wrong, all FSJs of those years with an auto had the BW1339 an AWD transfer case with offset front and rear outputs. I double checked and it actually started in 73. I did forget to mention that FSJs with a manual tranny wouldn't have as much of an offset but I am fairly certain the even those were offset by 3" instead of the usual 6". Most waggies had the auto.

Wrong, all FSJs of those years with an auto had the BW1339 an AWD transfer case with offset front and rear outputs. I double checked and it actually started in 73. I did forget to mention that FSJs with a manual tranny wouldn't have as much of an offset but I am fairly certain the even those were offset by 3" instead of the usual 6". Most waggies had the auto.

Ok not sure about that, but last time I was at the junk yard and removing the front axle shafts I noticed that it was in the center. I didn't measure but it looked like it was centered.

Let me start off by saying I'd trust Carmelo, as he IS a FSJ guy. (he drives a built Honcho)

Not the Grand Wagoneer it was centered as far as I know the 74, 75, and 76 had the rear centered.
The Grand Wagoneer didn't start production until 1984.

I know that the 74, 75, and 76 Jeep Grand Wagoneer has a driver side drop and the front measurs 60.75 not sure what the back measures. But that would be a good swap for front and rear Dana 44s.
SPOBI

For the obvious reason I posted above, as well as the fact that I have a front dana 44 axle sitting under my deck from a 1974 Jeep Wagoneer, and it is 100% passenger drop. (I robbed the flat top knuckles off of it) I know it is a '74 because I checked the tags on it while I was waiting for the guy running the front end loader at the junkyard to come pick it up.

The axle shafts from the '74 wagoneer are also not the same lengths as the "waggy" axles everyone always talks about. "Waggy" usually always refers to grand Wagoneer.

Ok not sure about that, but last time I was at the junk yard and removing the front axle shafts I noticed that it was in the center. I didn't measure but it looked like it was centered.
That would be because you were pulling the axles from a Grand Wagoneer, not a Wagoneer.

Please note the following: The information in this database does NOT apply to anything other than the following rigs:

• 1962-1983 Wagoneer
  • 1962-1988 Gladiator and J-trucks
  • 1974-1983 Cherokee
  • 1984-1992 Grand Wagoneer

Model Year Availability Notes NP-229 1981-85&1987-92 All except J-20 With A/T only. 1987 could have either the NP 229 Type 1 or Type 2 transfer case. NP-228 1986 All except J-20 With A/T only NP-219 1980-83 All except J-20 With A/T only NP-208 1980-87 All BW 1339 1973-79 All With A/T only BW 1305 1973-79 Wagoneer/Cherokee Single speed, no LOW range, with A/T only D-20 1962-79 All From 62-65 and 73-79 with manual trans only. Not available w/230 OHC motor and A/T D-21 1962-65 Wagoneer Single speed, no LOW range, used only with the 230 OHC motor and A/T

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/db.html

Any vehicle with the BW1339 or BW1305 had a VERY offset rear. A dana 20 rig I believe would be a little offset. Anyway if you have anymore questions you can refer to the link above. There are many different combinations that are possible. When it comes down to it just pay attention to what you're pulling out and always ask questions before driving down to go check something out. Jeep offered alot of wacky configurations.

Back