• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone painted their hood?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I have a black Xj and my hood looks TERRIBLE. its got horrible sun damage and I would really like to get a new one, but local places want $100 for a new and then I have to take it off as well.
Anyone that has a black XJ painted their hood flat black or a different color and had a good outcome? I dont want to start prepping it and then it turn out looking like poo.

If it already looks bad, what do you have to lose? Buy some satin or flat paint at Home Despot. Or Wal Mart sells some water based ones that give off less fumes.

Well I as thinking of painting the raised section of the hood Rubicon express gray like my rockers, long arms and bumpers and then repainted the sides gloss black or flat black

proper surface prep will go a long way... sand it properly, clean and/or activate properly for whatever paint you use.

Do not use satin what ever you do go flat will look 100% better. Wish I would have I will redo mine soon with the flat. Should have maybe listened to the rustoleum can said primer was not nessesary. once I tried to smooth out the satin looks like the primer showed through

Satin will clean a lot easier than flat will, flat will collect dirt a lot easier and is harder to get clean. I use Semi-flat and it cleans pretty well, And once you spray anything other than gloss or high gloss, there is no smoothing it out without changing the finish, spray it once, spray it right, and leave it be.

You can get mat Clear Coat so your flat color stays flat, and not glossy... not sure if they have it in rattle can...

X2 on the prep, most paint body work is 90% prep, 5% skill and 5% shear dumb luck or painting how ever you look at it.

Prep, prep, prep!

Key the area your gonna paint with red scotchbrite pads. Use a HD grease remover. Tack cloth helps keeps the lint and dust from building up.

I painted mine flat black to fight the glare from my roof lights. You can see in the pic how it looks more gray than black. I will repaint it with semi-gloss black and see how it looks. It is a bit dusty, but you get the idea.
IMG_0858.jpg

I painted mine flat black to fight the glare from my roof lights. You can see in the pic how it looks more gray than black. I will repaint it with semi-gloss black and see how it looks. It is a bit dusty, but you get the idea.
IMG_0858.jpg

Are you sure you got the right line on that one?

I painted a faded green metallic bonnet with peeling clear coat that I had with a nice coat of gloss red to match the colour of my Xj, unfortunately I didn't do the best job of the prep job but it was for a vented bonnet so it serves it's purpose....

Back