• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Cluster After 5.3L Swap

John D

NAXJA Member # 788
So, I got the 5.3L working well in my XJ but I want to try to make the Jeep gauges work in the instrument cluster (I know the tach is a lost cause as this point).

I plumbed in the Jeep coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor. They are connected to the Jeep PCM, and I use the Jeep starter solenoid wire connected to the 5.3L starter.

I basically cut the engine portion of the harness out except for the oil and coolant sensors, the rest of the harness remains intact.

When I turn the key to run I get volts, fuel, temp (if it isn't cold), check engine, air bag, and odometer (I assume I would have oil press if it was running). After going to start and back to run the gauges are stuck where they were before turning the key to start. When I turn the key to off and back to run the gauges will adjust to the correct position (fuel lower, temp higher etc.) If while I am going down the road I turn the key to off and back to run the speedo will pop up to current speed. If I start while rolling the speedo falls back to zero after about 5-10 seconds and gauges again are stuck.

What appears to be happening is I loose communication over the buss after start, but I do not see the normal "no buss" instead of the odometer reading.

Any ideas what I could be loosing after start? I have tried hooking up the B+ and the fused ignition switch output (st-run) sources directly to the battery.

Thanks,
John

Back