• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil and bastard pack lift

usnfoley13

NAXJA Forum User
I found some skyjacker coils at the JY today from a ZJ. did a little research and found that they are 3" coils for the XJ's I also pulled 2 full packs of rear leafs from an 01 XJ and I am going to use those as my base for my bastard pack. does anyone know how many of my old leafs I should use off off my XJ to put into the new pack to net around 2.5-3"? if I have to use all of them that is fine I have means to cut off the eyes of the old leafs. My old leafs are almost inverted if that helps. my XJ since it sags so much in the rear right now sits level and would like to keep it that way thats why I am looking at doing maybe 2.5 in the rear. any suggestions would be helpful

I JUST did a bastard pack yesterday. Kicking myself for not taking before pics. THen again, there is no evidence now of how bad it was. Used to be, with a full tank of gas, it sat lower in the rear than the front. Sad. I have the fender flares off, and you could just barely see the top of my 215/75R15's if you were eye level with the top of the rear fender sheetmetal.

I used the main leaf from my sad and pathetic pack, and the second or third one as well, cut shorter and placed in between the leaves from my replacement pack. I ended up with nine inches from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the "frame rail", using the official dirty method. Stock height is six inches, plus or minus half an inch.

However, the pack that I used as a base... I think it may have been either a heavyduty pack, or from an offroad packaged jeep, pehaps even an add a leaf was thrown in there. I just don't know man, but one leaf was CRAZILY arched compared to the rest.

Try two, then add a third one if you want more. It's easier to leave it alone if you like the lift at two and add one if you want more, than it is o have too many and pull one out. Since you won't be reusing the old center pins or U-Bolts, all your stuff will be new and clean, easy to take apart.

Find a trailer place in your city, or a spring shop to have new U-Bolts made. Mine were ten bucks a piece, custom bent and cut to my specs with the right nuts and washers included. The center pins were two bucks apiece. They had no anti friction pads though unfortunately.

well I made my bastard pack last night. used the '01 XJ pack and added in the 3 leafs below the main of my 90 XJ pack and tossed the main spring from my 90. This gave me 3" exactly which leveled it out with the 3" in front. they are both older packs and I am in colorado so who knows how much the 01 has been beaten on.

Wierd, you payed alot for Ubolts.

I had mine made at the local International truck spring shop and it's $20 for 4 ubolts with nuts and washers. Your choice 1/2" or 9/16" as well as length and tube diameter.

Back