• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blown rod in 96 4.0 ho cherokee,what motor will swap in?

ditchbangin500xc

NAXJA Forum User
so i just found out that i have a blown rod in my 96 cherokee with the 4.0 ho. i am now looking for a replacement motor and was wondering if anyone knows what year of cherokee motors will swap in perfectly.Any help is appreciated.Trav

for you, anything newer than 1991, and older than 2000.

really any 4.0 should swap in, but getting as close to your year as possible will be best. Unless you want to build a stroker, then you get into some heated discussions as to what components to use

i put a 2002 4.0 in my 89. used all the 89 stuff and the newer cam gives great bottom end. i run 31x10.50 with 3.07 gears and it drives like stock. it was a lot of work though. but i would do it again.

zedpapa

kinda hard to tell from here, but if you take a screwdriver, put the plastic by your ear and touch the other end to various points on the block and valve cover, you can better determine where the noise is coming from, if I had to guess from your video, I'd say piston slap, or rod knock. Rod knock may or may not be bad, it will eventually fail, but the piston slap is no big deal, folks have driven with piston slap for hundreds of thousands of miles with no more trouble than that noise...

That is a wristpin knockin'. I had a '92 that I ran for 3yrs and sold it and it was still running when they pulled the motor. I tried to blow it up on several occasions and couldn't do it. If you have good oil pressure-run it. My .02 worth.

Back