• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Done this.....

mattlago

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 SE model (I think) that has no arm rest and I miss an arm rest. I also go shooting quite a bit and have some spare ammo cans laying around.

I was looking at the hump with the E Brake handle in the floor and I thought "man, if I notch out the front and bottom and welded a new interior plate inside, this would make the perfect arm rest". It is steel, sturdy and the perfect height. Plus, if I painted it tan camo it would probably match my interior pretty well. I may go crazy and weld a cup holder onto the front of it.

To mount it I'm thinking of pulling the carpet, welding 4 bolts to the ground, reinstall the carpet with the bolts poking thru, driling four holes in the can, some rubber washers and snugging it to the floor.

Has this been done already and I am just a moron for not seeing it on search or is this a good idea that I should maybe do a write up on? Any better ideas on mounting to the floor?

i've never heard of it, but thats not really saying anything. i say do it and post up some pics!

I am almost finished with my custom center console that I started building last week. I took a 50 cal. ammo can, painted it black, cut of the closing mechanism, cut a hole for the parking brake, and cut the rim of my factory console so the can would slide in. I bolted it in using the bolts on the bottom of the console and an "L" shaped bracket that screws in above the parking brake and attaches to the front of the ammo can. My goals were to have a slightly bigger console that locked (so I'm not freaking out in wal-mart with my jeep parked in the parking lot with the doors off.) It's worked out pretty well for me so far, but I still have to drill a hole for the lock and make a cover for the hole I made in the bottom of the box to accomadate the p-brake handle.

^--from this thread: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931342&highlight=console

no pics there though.. i wish there was though

Read the post, youre right. No pics. Gonna have to do it. I am in the middle of a broken header install right now. Will do inside of a week and post pics.

Wide open on ideas to mount if there is a better solution than what I am thinking?

I am cutting out the middle man. From what I have read it is going to break anyways and I couldnt stand the anticipation.

I also pulled some cracked motor mounts and I am putting those in tomorrow along with broken door handles.....

I've seen CJ guys do it for a long time. I've really thought about putting one in mine and using a pad from 'something' screwed into the top. Probably make a bracket for the bottom to fit the hump better. I've just been too lazy, even though I've got ammo cans at home. :D

That was exactly what I am going to do, except he has the existing console. I just have the E brake sticking out of the floor that I will have to mold around.

Much like everything on this site, if you think you have an original idea, someone has already done it / planned it.

Well hell, Im still gonna do a write up on it when I do it! Take that.

Why don't you just do an MJ e-brake pedal swap. and you can build whatever console you want.

I suppose because I like the idea. It is stark, sturdy and cheap. Since it is steel I will be able to fab in compartments and if I dont like them I will just grind them out. Finally, if it looks terrible, to take it out will leave 4 small slits in the carpet (for the bolts) and that will be all.

I read the write up on project olive drab and I think Im going to go with that military look which should fit right in.

I also will make it lockable and it should add some security and I am a big believer in KISS. So if the mod (to the footbrake I mean) doesnt offer any performance benefit, I dont see much point. It should be an easy enuff work around with the can. (famous last words)

Speaking of ammo boxes, has anyone ever considered bolting afew in the back with padlocks? I work in a downtown setting, and have had one car that I own broken into. XJ's don't have much space to stash things out of sight.

Back