• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP30 swap

Crasher

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to get alloy shafts for my LP30 and think I should also get an hp30 to add a little strength to the carrier & gears. From what I've read, I think I want one from a 96-99 XJ. That should get me the 760 u-joints for spares. Is that correct? Also, I'm running an aussie up front now and haven't had any problems, but it makes me a little nervous listening to it unlock when in tight turns on hard soil or rock plus it's a little bindy then as well. As I have said, I haven't had any problems yet with the XJ axle shafts in it now, so it should be ok with the new setup. Is it worth $900+ for a selectable locker in this case?

Edit: I should mention that this is for my ZJ, not my XJ.

I have a lock right in the 8.8 rear now and I think I can just transfer the aussie in my lp30 to the hp30. My lp30 has 488s w/all new bearings that has less than 2000 miles on it. If I thought I could get something for it the way it is, I would leave it complete and buy another aussie or lock-rite.

I believe the aussie will work in the HP cuz I think the carriers are the same dimensions. (somebody correct me if that's wrong) I would think the axles would be the same also unless the LP D30 has a different spline count. I ran an Aussie in the front for a long time with no issues.

Well, a slight change in ptiorities. I just bought a used ox-locker from a guy who is going to bigger axles. I now have to decide if it is worth $500 more to setup a 99 hp30 with 488s, rotors and bearings etc and put the ox-lock into it or put it in my lp30, which has new gears and bearings, and buy alloy shafts. What makes more sense?

Good Idea, I hadn't thought of using the bearings, rotors and brakes from the lp30. Then it's a no brainer. $180 for a 99 hp30 w/71,000 miles and a $160 for gears. Why didn't I think of that?

Back