• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 going from 27 to 29 spline

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What do you need to do to a 27 spline 8.25 to use 29 spline shafts?

I heard the 27 spline carrier is too small to accept the larger shafts? Can you bore out the carrier to fit and get some 29 spline spider gears or 29 spline lunchbox locker?

You can, but its a pain in the butt and generally requires a machinest to do it right.

best off starting with a 29 spline carrier. detroit makes a good one.

When did they go from 27 to 29 spline? Was it '97?

Richard, I have a 29-spline 8.25 Trac-Loc carrier that you can have if you need it.

The Corporate 8.25 changed from 27 to 29 spline axles in mid June of 1996....

Thanks Charles.

Been awhile since I looked into this stock stuff. :D

So the double brake booster came out in '95, the '95 and '96 have a drivers side air bag, and in '97 the body style changed slightly, whole new interior, driver and pass air bags, and the 8.25 went to 29 spline axles.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, and if the SOB has ABS it comes with a D35.

I bought a decent '98 yesterday, it had ABS but I didn't know that it would now have a D35 instead of a 29 spline 8.25. I didn't find out until I was tying it down on the trailer.

I was seriously considering not locking the back when I lift it and put on 33's, just locking the front. Since it will be mostly a DD it would be nice open in the rear. So, I'll see what I end up wanting to do. I figured I could sell the locked D44 I already have to pay for chromo shafts for the front. Locked front will run Swamp and local trails now and then. So, I'll either use the D44 or keep my eyes open for a 29 spline 8.25. I figure it should be hard to break an open 8.25 axle. :)

Back