• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell Tale signs of cooling system abuse!

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Last edited:
70/30 water/coolant ratio and same coolant since factory will do that.

This was straight tap water in a 2000 Grand Prix, that a friend of my daughter's bought from a dealer.

How do I force it display the picture instead of the link in a normal size picture?

tn_Dsc00957a.jpg

You'll have to resize it on imageshack.
What warranted the straight tap water? Was it constantly overheating?

19 year old college girl, first time car buyer, at a stealership. My daughter asked me to look at it for her friend who had just bought it, and tell her what she might need to do after she bought it. Amazing thing is before and after cleaning it, and installing new hoses and a good 50 mile drive in the heat with AC on, and a cleaning flush additive in it, followed by 50/50 good stuff mix, it never once over heated, before, during or after. Oh, and the old thermostat was toast, stuck open. I have her driving it for a week with no thermostat. Will flush again in about a week, and install new thermostat then.

What size should I size them too?

I am not getting consistant results where I posted them.

tn_Dsc00957a.jpg

By the way, that is the cap after a 1/2" thick layer of solid crud was removed from it.

Oh, and OMG, the hoses were rock hard, even with the cap off!

Last edited:
How did you get it to post up directly as a picture? What is the code style?

I'll run the pics through photobucket and post them up. I don't think you got all the pics I sent you anyway.

Inside of radiator
DSC00960.jpg

T-stat. Was quite firmly rusted on, stuck open.
DSC00961.jpg

Inside of the block was pretty bad too, but no pics.

Ecomike, to link a picture like this, use the code

Thanks!

I don't post pictures very often, and right now what I tried is not working right.

Those were the only 2 that got through before my email got overloaded, due to the file sizes a certain some one sent me, LOL.:banghead:Right now I have a ver small limit as I am floating 95 MB on line at earthlink, and my limit is 100 mb.

T3hk1w1, was here at my house when we worked on it, he took the pictures.

Oops :doh:

But the pictures came out great, Thanks!

What I can't believe is that the radiator is not so fouled as to make it overheat. I guess those 2 electric fans on the GP do a hell of a great job.

For new readers to this thread, look at the radiator cap. It was so fouled that coolant could not get back into the radiator from the overflow bottle. The low coolant level sensor set off a dash light warning. This is, was the worst I had ever seen a cooling system, by about a 10X factor. I thought it was worth posting here, it was so bad. If only our XJs could handle this much cooling system abuse with overheating and blowing up.

Last edited:
Wow. Any idea how badly rusted the coolant galleries and freeze plugs are? That looks pretty disgusting.

wow that is bad! i would push the girl to get a new radiator! btw how many miles on it! and we all are assuming it is a 3.8L?

sounds like she came into your life at the right time!!!!

Yes, it is a 3.8. It is running very cool, in spite of appearances. I don't think it has gotten over 200 F yet, I know it has not reached 210 F.

Back