• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What spring is this?

offrd3

NAXJA Forum User
Bottom spring is the spring that was in my 98 sport that was not an upcountry

Top is a spring that i pulled out of a 98 police package cherokee is this what the upcountry spring looks like or is it a special police package spring

What do you guys think?

P1040454.jpg

It looks like possibly a special police package spring with progressive coil rates since it would have to withstand possible high speed turns.

It looks like possibly a special police package spring with progressive coil rates since it would have to withstand possible high speed turns.

Sounds right to me.

Top is a variable rate spring with 3 (or is it 4) extra coils, so maybe a 2-3 inch lift.

Bottom looks to me like a stock xj spring (8 coils). I would have expected it to have a 1" boost on an Upcountry.

yea thats what i was tinking but i have never heard of such a thing. And yes it sits about 1.5" higher when i installed them today. it rides goo though.

Does any one know what a upcountry spring looks like??

my XJ had upcountry springs and they sure didnt look like that. looked the same as regular old XJ springs, just 1" taller. but hey if they came out of an XJ and youre happy with them, thats all that matters. nice find.

XJ's never had progressive springs. Those are not stock parts.

Load capacity and lift height depend on the thickness of the spring wire and on the spring rate. You will have to compare a known XJ UpCountry coil to any other XJ coils to make a determination. The UpCountry coils use a slightly thicker spring wire with a higher spring rate to achieve their lift.

My UpCountry coils like just like stock coils.

Interesting, well I have no idea where they came from originally then; maybe the police had them made. But they ride nice, I also scored the police interment cluster.

I looked on rough countrys web site and on ome web site and they don't show any thing that looks like the spring i got.

The dash
P1040479.jpg

whitch goes nicely with the extended idle switch I got a while ago.
P1040481.jpg

The difference in the dash is that it has a speedo that goes to 125 mph (100 Standard dash) and it says certified (whitch really means nothing since i am not the police and do not have my truck tested every month and a converstion chart made for each speed)

The extened idle switch will bump the engine rpm up to 1200 when in park or neutral to promote better cooling, battery charging and oil preasure. It also works great when winching out another truck it helps keep the battery charged.

Back