• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Swap

Uhvnutn

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Cherokee Pioneer 4x4 with the 4.0, aw4, and np231. In my junk yard journeys today I found a 91 4.0 ax15 np231 Cherokee. Everything is there and its in really good shape.

So here is my question. I really miss having a 3rd pedal. So I'm wondering what parts do i need to pull from the 91 to do a 5 speed swap into my 89?

Yes I have searched and read about ten different threads on the subject. But none of them has really pointed me in the right direction on what parts I need to pull from the donor. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

do you wheel your rig? there is a reason they call it the "automagic"

I do wheel it on occasion here in FL. But I'm moving to SC at the beginning of the year and it will get wheeled a lot more. About 80% of the wheeling here in FL involves mud and personally I don't care much for mud.

My XJ is lifted 4.5" on 33x12.5 TSL Radials, winch front bumper with a warn 8000 lb winch, 4.56 in the front Dana 30 with a lock right, and an explorer disc 8.8 with 4.56 gears and a Detroit in the rear.

Here in the next couple months Im doing a 1 ton swap front and rear with a 3 link front. When I do the dif swap I would like to get rid of the aw4 and swap a ax15 in. I just would like to know what exactly I need to pull from the donor to complete the trans swap. That way I can get everything that I need in one shot, instead of making multiple trips for crap that I didn't know that I needed and having the chance of the donor not being there.

I am just starting to get into the 4x4 scene. I have build quite a few drag and street mustangs (mainly fox and sn95) through the years. So I can tell you what you need to swap anything around in them. But I am completely lost when it comes to XJ's and what interchanges through the years and what is needed to do an auto to manual swap. I have been reading a lot of different forums just gathering information over the last couple months, now its time to ask questions about things I cant exactly find the answer I'm looking for.

Back