• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch

co_alpine

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the ignition switch on my 1997 sport (auto with tilt) but i can't see how to remove it. do you have to remove the full ignition part with the tamper proof bolts to get it to release? if so can you pick those up at any normal auto store or Sears?
thanks!

There is a key cylinder, a remote rod, and an ignition switch at the foot of the steering column.

What is your problem, and what are you trying to accomplish?

I need to change out the switch. I already pulled and cleaned the cylinder but need to get the switch out to replace it. do you have to pull the full section off the column using the tamper-proof screws to get it? I removed the wire harness I can see what holds it on, but it will not come off the column. is there a rod going into it that locks it in place?

Does it really have tamper proof Torx on the clamshell? Our '96s have regular Torx screws (T-10, IIRC), but not tampers. Just yesterday I picked up a nice set of tamper-proof T bits at Harbor Freight, $12.99. I was cleaning the throttle body from my '92, and the idle chamber is held on by tamper stars, so now I can remove it. I've also seen a set of bits, for a 1/4" adapter for about a buck. The switch should be right inside the clamshell, but what is it doing that leads you to believe it's the switch? I'm only asking because the wiring harness in the column has been known to go bad, intermittantly working or not, especially with, and caused by, the tilt column repeatedly bending the wires. My son's '95 won't start unless the column is in the right position.

I'm only asking because the wiring harness in the column has been known to go bad, intermittantly working or not, especially with, and caused by, the tilt column repeatedly bending the wires. My son's '95 won't start unless the column is in the right position.

mmm, that is a new one. I have been having odd starting issues and this is one of the last parts that was suggested to replace on here. I can start and drive it just fine, but if i turn it off it will not always restart. what I get is just dash lights. Nothing turns over so it is not the CPS, and I have a new starter, cables, plugs in it. when it runs it is fine, no stalls.

If it will not start I found if I push in a bit more on the key it will start. I have not had any issues on the cylinder but I pulled it and cleaned it to make sure. it will go to all positions all the time so it is more electrical than mechanical.

I will look over the wires well too, but i got a new switch for $16 so it was good by me to just replace it to rule it out.

I worked with a guy who had a '95 Dodge pickup. He'd had four harnesses fail! Finally, after his mechanic's boat was paid off, he suggested finding a position for the wheel, and leaving it there. Viola! No more problemo! Seriously, if you're the type that likes to exercise this option, it may well be the problem. Me, I never move 'em. I've seen ignition switches fail, but typically from people leaving accessories on and shutting the car off. Big draw items, like the blower fan, will arc across the contacts, greatly shortening their life, so turn everything off before shutting the engine off.

Last edited:
I worked with a guy who had a '95 Dodge pickup. He'd had four harnesses fail! Finally, after his mechanic's boat was paid off, he suggested finding a position for the wheel, and leaving it there. Viola! No more problemo! Seriously, if you're the type that likes to exercise this option, it may well be the problem. Me, I never move 'em.
yeah, I never have either. I had to look to make sure I had tilt when I posted this :) but it is a second hand so it may have been worked over well.

Back