• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 4.56 gears compatibility

OkieXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a ford 8.8 with 4.10s and the LS carrier. I want to regear to 4.56.

Does switching to 4.56 gears require a new or modified cross pin?

I searched a bunch but couldn't find an answer. I wanted to make sure I have everything I need before I start the project. Thanks for the help feel free to post a link if this has been covered 100 times already.

When you do the gears,index the ring gear(prior to final assembly) as best as possible so that the pinion shaft lies between 2 teeth.After that just grind the teeth as already mentioned.

I found this page on Randy's Ring and Pinion:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ContentFr...ions//Thick_Gears_and_C-Clips_Can_Coexist.inc

I guess I need to modify the gears or shaft so the c clips can be installed? Why did you choose to grind the gears instead of modifying the cross pin?
You need all the strength of the cross pin. The ring gear easily tolerates a little grinding of the teeth. You can eliminate both problems by getting a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.8.

Back