• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Door Jam Switches

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I know this has probably been covered before. I've searched for the past 25 minutes, and I know the answer to my question will probably be in one of those wonderful "related threads", that are listed at the bottom.

That being said, here I go. hasta

My 97 SE doesn't have the rear door jam switches (it also has the older dome light setup). Anyways, my 98 Sport that I'm parting had the rear jam switches. I'm wondering if my 97 has the plugs in the B pillar for the rear switches so I easily add the the rear door jam switches.

If it has the hole for the switch then pull off the trim and remove the seat belt mechanism at the bottom to allow plenty of room to reach inside. Once the trim is removed you can tell really easy if you have wires coming off the main bundle and going up in the pillar.

If it has the hole for the switch then pull off the trim and remove the seat belt mechanism at the bottom to allow plenty of room to reach inside. Once the trim is removed you can tell really easy if you have wires coming off the main bundle and going up in the pillar.

I've got rubber plugs in the switch holes.

I just installed these switches today. My jeep is a 1994 sport, with no power accessories in the door, and almost no other options as well.

I removed the plastic trim, and there was a plug already sitting there ready to go, taped down just beneath the seatbelt. I grabbed a couple switches from a junkyard, and they work fine. There was a rubber plug covering the hole. The hole didn't have threads cut into it, but carefully screwing the switch in cut new threads just fine. Piece of cake, it all works like a charm.

Speaking of wiring upgrades; While I was at the junkyard, I also picked up a dome light with the additional map lights built in to it. The new dome/map light combo had the same plug as the old light I was removing, and the additional lights work perfectly. So the existing wiring was already capable of running map lights, too.

Thanks for the tips guys. Are the front and rear door switches the same? If so, I may use a front switch from my donor car to "cut" the threads in the sheet metal & keep the other as an extra.

I think they are. I've been looking for new switches, and only found a single part number for any XJ- although that's not a guarantee they are the same. It wouldn't be very difficult to test fitment with a spare or one of your front switches.

They put door pin switches in the 94?! I did not know they had them in the rear passenger doors. Looks like my next upgrade will be some nice cheap switches from the JY. I'm tired of opening the front door to have the interior light on.:banghead:

Back