• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 month old winch just goes click?

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
:bawl:hey guys, i have a superwinch lp8500 that i've only used like twice, and i pulled out some cable and tried to use the winch to wind it back up. it worked for about 10 seconds and quit like a toy with dead batteries. the battery on the jeep is good and the motor was running. after it stopped, i tried to move it again, and now it just goes click, no movement. any ideas? i don't have money to get new solenoids, but the winch is still under warranty, so i'm trying to see if i can fix it before i have to take it off my jeep... already checked battery connections, a little rusty, but not too bad, and they're tight. cleaned them with coca-cola still no dice. i can hear the solenoids click for in, and for out, but no response from the winch motor.

have you opened it up and jumped the solenoids? if they are clicking they are getting power. remember if you dont use your winch alot at least power out about 20 feet and then power it in every month.

i would give superwinch a call. some winch tech guys really know their stuff. winches arent that difficult to work on either once they tell you what to look for. check the connections to the motor.

they're pretty clean... i cleaned them with coca-cola, so i'm not sure how clean. i've been doing the power in, power out thing every month or so, and i was doing it this time before i went wheelin this weekend, and that's when the problem arose

make sure its all claen, no rust no corrsoin, NONe!

if still not work, id try tapping the motor, but if not work, id try to turn the motor by remove the motor and turn it by hand (to clear up the brushes to restart it) then hopefully it work fine then

i called superwinch, and they told me to take the motor off of it. when i did, something like a quart of water dumped out, and i saw that my motor is all nasty and rusty inside. it's a factory defect, the guy told me where the lp8500's from early this year had a problem with water running dow the battery cables ino the motor. they're sending me a new motor on monday.

Back