• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When does it start to fall apart?

stumanarama

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at cherokees for some time now, and am just about ready to kill to get one. However I've had some concerns about the mileage of the ones in my price range. Majority of the ones I can afford are in the 200k plus range, which I'm inclined to stay away from. I suppose my question is, at what point in the average XJ's life do things start to disintegrate? 150? 170?
I'm only looking at 4.0 leetray's '90 or newer auto or stick and of course, four wheel drive.
I can't wait to join the XJ owner's club:party:
Thanks for any and all advice.

1999, 299K Miles, still runs strong. MPG is much worse now, but I suspect it has something to do with the 200 lbs in upgrades:dunno:

Nothing a little buffing can't fix... hahahaha

1989 225,xxx miles runs strong. Now don't think you're just going to buy it and live forever, mine ran strong when I bought it, but I did have to put $1,800.00 in to new parts that one wold consider "standard wear items" clutch, radiator, water pump, tune up kit, rear main seal - things like that.

I replaced them (and my mechanic on things I could not do) over a years time so the expense was not all at once, and now (3 years later) still runs great. No issues.

Nothing a little buffing can't fix... hahahaha

1989 225,xxx miles runs strong. Now don't think you're just going to buy it and live forever, mine ran strong when I bought it, but I did have to put $1,800.00 in to new parts that one wold consider "standard wear items" clutch, radiator, water pump, tune up kit, rear main seal - things like that.

I replaced them (and my mechanic on things I could not do) over a years time so the expense was not all at once, and now (3 years later) still runs great. No issues.

Thats more what I was wondering. I have no doubt these babies can make it to a million miles. I was just curious about what bigger parts, break and when. Thanks for everything so far, keep em rolling.

If you get a rust belt one, you're going to have floor, frame, rocker, brake line, fuel line, and assorted other rust. At least I did. Also - normal stuff breaks and wears out... radiators, water pumps, all the normal suspects. Working A/C on an older Jeep is a rarity.

They start to fall apart as soon as you take them off road.
very true..and expensive

as far as my '93, it's engine was still running strong at 230k with no work done to it whatsoever (I used Mobil1 synthetic from break in).
It was the continual failure of everything else electronic and otherwise that made me trade it in.

Best thing about XJ's is that they are relatively easy to work on, and you have this forum to get good and bad advice. Whatever you drive will start to wear out when you drive it. The only alternative is to put it in a museum. If you want to beat on something off road, get a dirt bike.

biggest problem with well-used vehicle is corrosion making it hard to get bolts loose without snapping them. you will see those for yourself. second problem is general lack of maintenance. have a mechanic check the compression if you can.

I've got over 210K on my XJ, granted its a 2wd:rattle:, and got it CHEAP on Craigslist, but I look at it as a "trainer"

I get 20mpg ish on the highway, and with the AX-15 manual trans. It's basicly a point and go.

+1 on the rust, the salt belt/rust belt may be cheaper but you will more than make up on it in PB blaster and new hardware/skinned knuckles, and see through floors, well if you pull the carpet back...

Go for it...

Dont remember if its here or in the so cal section. But there is a nice red XJ for sale for about 2 g's.

+1 on the rust, the salt belt/rust belt may be cheaper but you will more than make up on it in PB blaster and new hardware/skinned knuckles, and see through floors, well if you pull the carpet back...

Go for it...
yeah I have what we call "load bearing carpet" in both the driver's floorpan and rear right cargo area :banghead:learned that one the wrong way.

There are a lot of XJs out there. If you can find one where you are reasonably confident that it received good maintenance (ESPECIALLY fluids), that is one that deserves a longer look.

There is risk with buying any vehicle. The important thing is to look at a BUNCH of them before purchasing so you can get a better idea of the variety of conditions that you'll encounter.

Maintenance, location, and how used (abused?) by PO are important.

Properly maintained most vehicles are capable of lasting a very long time. As noted by others, a rusted XJ will need a lot of work, but if buying an XJ from a moderate climate state that shouldn't be much of an issue. Buying a DD versus a rock crawler, well that should be self evident.

88 XJ I bought new in 88. Nearly 300K on it now. Never been in the engine, 4WD, or transfer case yet. Never had the valve covers off. Still runs like a scalded dog. I don't go off-road and only use the 4WD in Yosemite in december to get in the park. I drive it non-stop from CA to Miami once a year, standing on the pedal for 4 days straight in the heat of july with the AC on MAX HIGH the entire time. Not even a hiccup, and I've done this for 10 years in a row now. Sure, I've done the wearables a few times (radiator, alt, belt, brakes, water pump, hoses, etc) but I recently ran out of freon last month for the first time since I bought it in 88 (had a leak).

I talked to my family Jeep dealer once about trading it in. Once I told him I was close to 300k, he shook his head at me and said "come back kid when you've got it broken in". He regularly sees them/takes them on trade with 500K or more miles.

Just for comparison, my local dealer tech (a grand master jeep tech) and I were talking about the many miles on mine. We left the service bay and walked over to his, an 87 XJ. He gave me the keys and said "check out the odometer on mine."

I did. 483,000.

I hung my head. Suddenly, I felt ashamed for bringing it up.

My point is, check it out well and keep a little in reserve for small stuff/wearables, but don't sweat the mileage. They'll run forever and parts are plentiful.

Back