• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery Plug

HQuakers

NAXJA Forum User
Added a new Pioneer Headunit and HD Radio the other day. Took the whole dash apart and wired everything nicely. I put it all back together and I'm left with a plug. I can't find anywhere to plug it and I don't recall if it was unplugged when I took the dash apart. Thoughts?

Here's the plug, coming from the main harness for the a/c socket, rear window wiper, and stock fogs:

P8130153.jpg

P8130152.jpg

P8130155.jpg

P8130156.jpg

Well you could just look it over carefully and see if you can tell if it was ever plugged in...look inside the connector, if there is a lot of dust and debris it likely was never plugged in. Those all use generic wiring harnesses so it may be likely that it is just an accessory you don't have....check over your whole electrical system thoroughly and see if something doesn't work properly.

but if I had a guess look at the HVAC system controls

I'll take a look. Little backstory...Jeep had an aftermarket radio in when I got it, I took it out and put the stocker back in. Somewhere in there the A/C stopped blowing cold. I am kinda hoping that's what it is...I'll do another look at the HVAC controls.

Looked again tonight. No place for this thing to go. Can't tell if it's been plugged in or not. Could this be for some factory option I don't have? Looks like it would go to the switch panel where the switches for rear wiper, fogs, rear heater are.

Sorta looks like the plug for the fog lights. I know my 97 had a random plug in the switch panel that would be used if I had the fog lights.

If you have fogs, possibly extended idle?

Try turning on everything in your jeep, one at a time. If something doesn't work, then you know where it goes...

I'm pretty sure that's not for factory fogs, the fog light switches have 0.250" QC tabs on the back (or similar). That connector looks more like it's intended to plug into some sort of electronics module.

ext. idle switch or rear defrost, even though you don't have it, it's wired for it.

dont worry about it.. ive got tons of loose end plugs. they're mostly for the fact that all vehicles are "cut out" basicly you have the ability to have many options, but they were never installed.

Sorta looks like the plug for the fog lights. I know my 97 had a random plug in the switch panel that would be used if I had the fog lights.

If you have fogs, possibly extended idle?

Yes, have fogs. Ext idle def. a possibility.

ext. idle switch or rear defrost, even though you don't have it, it's wired for it.

Have rear defrost, so I think ext. idle is most likely.

Did the stock radio have steering wheel controls?

No.

dont worry about it.. ive got tons of loose end plugs. they're mostly for the fact that all vehicles are "cut out" basicly you have the ability to have many options, but they were never installed.

Yeah, I'm not going to worry about it. I just thought I missed plugging in something.

Thanks everyone for the help. Off to the next issue..

Did the stock radio have steering wheel controls?
I'm pretty sure radio controls on the steering wheel was never an option for a cherokee.

Yes, have fogs. Ext idle def. a possibility.

You wouldn't have wiring for extended idle unless you had a police package XJ, and in that case you would have the switch.

I don't have ext. idle but I did find that exact plug behind my factory H.U. when I swapped it out. It was out in the open, not plugged into anything. My guess will be that it was probably something leftover in the electrical design for an option on the XJ that involved the stereo. Maybe steering wheel controls? I don't know?

IIRC my '96 has an empty plug labeled "trailer (either brakes OR lights, it's not here to check)" There were also several other labeled plugs for options not installed (under dash speakers and lights) that were "plug and play" when I added the options. Look for labels on the wires.

That plug is most definitely for the a/c-heater control. It plugs in right behind the temperature control knob and if it were unplugged would cause the a/c not to blow cold.

Back