• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to AX15 swap ECU / TCU question

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully someone can answer this definitvely for me...I just swapped a new motor and AX15 trans into my 2000 XJ 4.0. It did have the AW4, but all the trans stuff I swapped in came from a 94 XJ 4.0. I got a remanufactured ECU from autocomputerexchange.com and it is supposed to be specificly for the manual trans. My main question is that I am getting a P1698 code: no bus communication with the TCU. The TCU is unplugged, but my thoughts are that if it is a ECU for a MANUAL transmission, why is it even looking for a TCU? Did I get the wrong computer? This is the only code I am getting. If I plug in the TCU I get 3 codes related to transmission sensors which, of course, are not there.

Posted this last night if you want some more information on my situation:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004913

I will post a detailed writeup with lots of pics once this is done and I have all the kinks worked out! Doesn't seem like too many have done this on a 2000-01 XJ...and maybe for good reason:smsoap:

Well I've been emailing the company I got the new ECU from, but unfortunately I have to wait until I have my invoice in hand before they can help me much. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Well I can't say for sure what all was needed yet as it isn't really done yet, but I have not modified the chasis wiring harness at all. I hacked up the plug on the NSS end to be able to simulate park and drive and get reverse lights but thats the only wiring I have messed with. I will be posting a detailed writeup but the gyst of the parts you need is what you mentioned (shifter is part of the trans):

trans tunnel plate for shifter to come thru and boot for that
transfer case linkage and brackets
trans mount & mounting brackets
driveshafts
master/slave hydraulics for clutch
all clutch/flywheel components

i think that's basically it, without looking at my parts list. keep an eye out for a lengthy writeup with pictures soon. if i remember i will link to it from this thread

as for the P/N on the PCM (same as ECU, right?) I will post that when I get home tonight.

P56041635agXis the pn. Same code as is on my original computer. But it is on a sticker the reman company put on it.

Alright well I will try to convey that to them and hopefully when I speak part number to them it comprehends better than english...how do you know the part numbers? is there somplace you look them up?

I am 99.9% sure I have the wrong computer, and that is the one I need. Hopefully they will exchange (with overnight or second day delivery would be SUPER nice) without a problem. Thanks so much for the part number, I'm pretty confident giving them that part number should get me the right part and fix the problem

well you were 100% right Talyn. I spoke to them on the phone and they confirmed that they did in fact send me a comptuer for an auto trans, and will be shipping me a computer for a manual trans as soon as I provide them a tracking # for the unit I am returning. Cool! (sorta..)

got the new PCM today. WRONG THING. the e-fan comes on as soon as i turn the key and it cranks for abouot 5 seconds then backfires. the odometer shows "No buS" Where to go from here? I ordered p/n 56041668AG. the computer weighs about twice as much and is different construction alltogether. i will put up a pic after dinner. it plugs in the same and has all the same mounting holes but it's a lot different.

That should be the right PCM.. but even if it was wrong (how?) it shouldn't turn the efan on immediately. What is the part number of your original PCM? A pic would be interesting

Back