• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I???

Yes, you can. Pull the shaft on the other side also. To prevent possible damage to diff. You may need to remove the drive shaft also. Without the inner shafts there will be nothing to hold the oil in the pumkin, or keep crap out, you do not want gears to be turning.

Yes, you can. Pull the shaft on the other side also. To prevent possible damage to diff. You may need to remove the drive shaft also. Without the inner shafts there will be nothing to hold the oil in the pumkin, or keep crap out, you do not want gears to be turning.

Early disco units simply disconnected coupler between the inner and outer inner shafts on the pass side. This allowed the drivers side axle to turn the spider gears, but not the main gear, which effectively decoupling the front axle from the transfer case.

So, you see, besides putting a rag in the axle hole to keep the crud out, there is no need to jump though any further hoops. The hypoid fluid will settle in at a level equal to the bottom of the axle tubes.

Ron

I carry a couple of spare stub shafts just for this occasion. That way I don't have to take apart my shafts. And I too stuff a rag in the tube.

Back