• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this bad?

92XJR3D

NAXJA Forum User
so i am done with my lift, i glanced up under and looked at my drive shaft where it connects into the transfer case, i did noticed it pulled out a few, i havent drove the vehicle yet due to me needing to finish the rear brake lines, here is a pic let me know what you guys think,

IMG_0138.jpg

Take it around the block. You'll either have vibes or you won't.
If you don't, take it up to highway speed. Again, you'll either have some bad vibes, or you won't.
If its the 92 in your username, you probably won't. My 93 doesn't have any at ~4.5-5"... the older models don't get as bad vibes as the newer ones do when you jack em up.

If you do have vibes, get an SYE.
If you don't have vibes, don't worry about it... no use fixing a problem that isn't there.

Hallo. My '92 has a lift of 2" and the shaft is only 1" coming out the Tcase more than before the lift.
Did you change the rear leafs? Centrebolt in the same place? Is the rear axle in the middle of the wheel arch?
It looks like that the rear axle is traveled backwards.:laugh:

'92 XJ with 2"lift. 31" Muds

Last edited:
Just went out to take a look at mine after the "driveshaft falls out" comment.
Here it is as it sits in my garage. My info is in my earlier post...
100_1498.jpg

So yeah, something's probably off on yours.

P.S. your tire size shouldn't matter.
And sorry bout the pic size.

You need to drop your transfer case or your going to spit that driveshaft out quicker than you can say holy crap I think I just lost my drive shaft. rule of thumb is about 1.5'' maximum sticking out of the slip yoke. All you need to due is drop the transfer case about 1'' tops.

3" of lift? your fine.

Or you could find a YJ slip yoke to replace the shorty on the driveshaft you have. The YJ yoke is about 5/8 inch longer than the XJ and the ears on the yoke (the part that the ujoint sits in) are extended a little, so when the driveshaft drops when off road it doesnt bind up. Thats what i have in mine. And i have 4.5 in lift and its fine. Doesnt come close to falling out when on the trail. Its not that much for a new yoke, i think i paid about $40 for mine. Just search around for it. Just my $0.02

everything bolted up fine and everything, the leafs did have a little bit of a shim on it to rotate the axle up a little. but idk, i will measure how much it came out from before. as far as transfer case drop who should i go through to get one? also on sye what brand is good but decent price?

Did you put the rear leafs on backwards - that would push the axle to the back substantially. Can you post a picture of the rear of the Jeep from the side?

Did you put the rear leafs on backwards - that would push the axle to the back substantially. Can you post a picture of the rear of the Jeep from the side?
I always find it amazing that someone even suggests that,it cant be done.The front bushing is 3" and the rear is 2-3/4" !!!!
BTW:for the OP,Yeah thats BAD.

ya i was talking to a local shop and showed them the pic i originally posted, and they said it should be fine, they said its not going to be perfect but told me to take it to a driveshaft shop and have them extend the shaft about 3/4"-1" i hope this would work, what do you guys think i need to do? they said dont do a t-case drop(they dont suggest it) i also asked them about a sye, they said just extend my current shaft. idk i am going to bleed these brakes and drive it in my neighborhood and see if that fixes anything. do you guys even suggest driving it at all with it like that?

Or you could find a YJ slip yoke to replace the shorty on the driveshaft you have.

I was wondering why I was getting dizzy!

OP- which rear axle do you have on it? If the original was an 8.25" you may get bye with the shaft from a D35-- it's a little longer.

Why did they not recomend the tcase drop?

The shims on the leafs should help this not make it worse.

The pic worse then mine on 7.5" lift so I dont know how you pulled that off.
(didnt load for me before gov computer o_O)

ya i did everything right as far as i know but apparently not idk, i havent seen that before, here is the pic of how the rear sits,
IMG_0141.jpg

i think i might go with a t-case drop and see what happens what is a good brand for t-case drop? also how much i saw earlier no more than an 1"? oh btw the drive shaft pulled out a total of 1-1/4" out from stock

Back