• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torx T60 bolt stuck, can't change oil filter adapter O rings!

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a torx T60 bolt, tapped out the bit from the socket, put a 12 mm wrench on the end of the bit and used a cheater bar to try and get the bolt out of there and I ended up breaking the wrench.

Any other ideas? (Luckily it was a Craftsman wrench, so I'll get another one for free)

Get a soldering iron and plug it in. Press the tip onto the end of the torx bolt for a few minutes. Then remove the torx bolt. I've use that little trick on a ton of tough to remove torx bolts and it works EVERY time. HTH.

When I did mine, there was no way a 12 mm wrench would have done this job. I bought a similar T-60 socket with removable torx insert, and welded a flat handle (actually a stamped-steel motorcycle wrench) to the socket itself. That allowed just enough clearance to get the socket into the bolt, with a pry bar between the back of the socket and the frame to hold it all in place. Even then, it took about 2 feet of pipe on the handle and all my might to crack it free. Once the bolt backed out enough to jam the socket, I took the insert out and used a 12 mm. wrench to remove it all the way.

boogerweld.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have done it with the socket and a pair of vice grips but it is much easier to get to that sucker with the engine out.

BTW pretty weld Matthew.

I
BTW pretty weld Matthew.

Yes, as you can see, I'm ready to do some gas pipelines, or maybe some crane repairs. :jester:

Seriously, it was a 30 second booger weld, function the only requirement, but part of my excuse is that I have really bad near vision, so that's actually a pretty good weld for me, in that I at least hit the right neighborhood for a reasonable percentage of the weld.

i just did mine and i tried to do the 12mm wrench idea and there was no friggen way it was going to work. what i ended up doing is cutting the t60 down so a 3/8" 12mm socket would fit with it and the wrench. i then used the handle from my jack as an extension and gave it hell and it finally budged. was kinda scary for a second that it might break but it worked.

basin_wrench.jpg

The little hole that the red arrow points to is a pivot and the jaws work like those of a pipe wrench. It helps to have a second person hold it onto the socket from above until the jaws grip. The handle is about 18" long. Money

Note on above: if you can't find that tool, make sure you go to the plumbing tool section. Its official name is "basin wrench." A very handy tool if you can get a good strong one, and usually quite inexpensive. I don't think that would have worked in my case for the initial cracking of the bolt, but it would have been ideal for ratcheting it out after, but I didn't think of it.

For those unfamiliar with this tool, it is designed specifically to remove and install water faucets and other fixtures in sinks.

So I better give an update.

I finally got the bolt outta there and replaced the O-rings. Since I don't have a welder, I didn't have the option to make a cool tool as seen above. I had the T60 socket tool and I knew that if only it were shorter I could get in there with a socket wrench and turn the bolt.

I took out the bolt from the motor mount that was limiting the space down there, then went to the table grinder and ground both the socket and the torx head down so that when they were put back together, they were both shorter. I had to do this multiple times because it wasn't quite short enough. But after much patience and cussing, I got the bolt to move! It was such a good feeling. I hadn't ever attempted a project on the XJ that has gotten the best of me and I didn't want one little torx bolt to win.

I haven't had a chance to take a picture of the T60 tool and how it looks in order to get it to fit, but I'll try and post up a pic soon. Now the real test will be to see if it leaks some more!

I finally got around to taking a picture of the T60 tool that I had to modify to get the darn bolt loose on the oil filter adapter.

Here it is:
DSC01068.jpg

FWIW, I need to change mine out as well. I just ordered this. I figure it's short enough to fit in the limited space, and should be easy to slip a bar over.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll use this, as it's close to what I want to ask. Is it possible to 'clock' the Oil Filter Adapter to the same position as the later ones. On my '92, the filter is upside down, at a slight angle. At a little over 200k miles, there's a moment of 'Death Rattle' upon cold start, as the filter fills before it allows the oil to go on its journey. Our other, newer XJs have the filter mounted horizontal, and the oil comes right up. Would what I'm asking help?
BTW Matthew, I too am very nearsighted, and am of an age where I need bifocals, and simply cannot see the tip of the gun through the mask. I just usually let my son do the welding!

FWIW, I need to change mine out as well. I just ordered this. I figure it's short enough to fit in the limited space, and should be easy to slip a bar over.
Well, that was slightly too long.:smsoap:I'll be cutting it down and trying again.

For those who took out the motor mount bolt, did it seem to 'drag' coming out? I started to remove mine, but as I was it seemed to get harder and harder to turn. I got skeered and put it back in.

Who is the Chrysler engineer responsible for this, and what the hell was he thinking??

Back