• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapped a 99 AW4 into my 96 (both 4.0)

Scram82

NAXJA Forum User
Swap is complete and we're running into problems. The transmision will not shift out of first gear (sounds like it goes into 2 ok).
Swapped wiring harness and changed the tail house to use the 96 sensor (completing the 96 harness). Everything plugged up fine but transmision will not shift out of first gear. Fresh fluid and filter.
Changed TPS, still no change. Unhooked the TCU (no inline fuse to be found) and can shift manually and it shifted fine. Grabbed a junk yard TCU (hoping) and still the same thing. Not shifting out of first.
Suggestion?? Any help is greatly appreciated. We are out of ideas.

David

Not shifting out of first would imply the rear speed sensor is not working. When you changed the tailcone, did you swap the rotor on the shaft as well?

NO, i did not swap the shaft just un did the bolts and swaped the section.
I definetly missed this if it needed to be done. School shopping for the kids this afternoon and i'll do it first thing in the morning. Any tips to do this.

I've also got a more electrical savy friend coming over tomorrow and if no sucess with the shaft (but this sure sounds likely) we'll move forward with the testing.

this site did a fantastic job getting a novice this far and i tried to do all research before asking. Perhaps i should not have been so shy but this is a great sight with lots of great information.

Any more tips are appreciated and i'll post up tomorrow with results.

thanks

BTW the Cherokee is my DD and i refuse to trade it in (much to the wife's dismay). 285,000 miles and still a pleasre to drive. I'm pushing for 300. She doesn't use any oil, everyting works and never left me stranded.

Not shifting out of first would imply the rear speed sensor is not working. When you changed the tailcone, did you swap the rotor on the shaft as well?

Looking at the rotor now. could you give me some hints on getting it off?? The information i have says to use a wood dowel and pry it off. Is this correct??

thanks again. Feeing better this sure sounds like the problem but i promised to go school shopping with family. that's going to drive me nuts wanting to get this done.

david

Yeah. I think you just remove the snap ring and pry/tap the rotor off. A gear puller with long enough arms might do the trick as well. I'd suggest heat, but you run the risk of demagnetizing the magnet on the 96 rotor.

Last edited:
Yeah. I think you just remove the snap ring and pry/tap the rotor off. A gear puller with long enough arms might do the trick as well. I'd suggest heat, but you run the risk of demagnetizing the magnet on the 96 rotor.

I'll give it a try first thing tomorrow.
Thanks again and i'll post up with results.

David

SUCCESS.....removed the snap ring and the rotor came right off. My friend and i remeber discussing the difference in the sensor never thought about the rotor.
lawsoncl.....thanks a million. I like driving my CJ but after a week it was getting old (and expensive). So glad to have my Cherokee back.

So a quick recap for those who follow. If you swap AW4 keep your harness and swap with the newer transmission and change your tail housing and speed rotor. Had i put them up side by side in the shop it would have been obvious.

Thanks again for all the help.
David

Back