• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont go over 2700rpm

natesjeep

NAXJA Forum User
let me start from the begining. i when't wheeling the other day and as i was doing a hill climb i overheated my engine and it wouldnt go above 2700rpms. i waited about 15 20 minutes and drove it again. than later on i was going threw some puddle and i sucked up some water in the engine and had to be towed home. its running now but still wont go above 2700rpms. its a 97 4.0l everything is stock under the hood.

Remove your plugs and turn the motor over to remove any water in the cylinders, dry your distributor, TPS, IACV. Suck some Seafoam slowly into the brake booster to help remove the crud & moisture in your intake. Also, manually clean your throttle body. Then change your oil (again adding some Seafoam to the oil would help dry the crankcase) since you probably sucked water in your breather tubes. then change the oil again after a week (that is if your motor didn't get hydrlocked and runs)
Also, your tranny and axles have vent tubes so it would be wise to flush those as well. Hope your XJ makes it! it's a coin toss but if I had to pick a motor for such a test I'd choose the 4.0 to have the odds. Good Luck!

Last edited:
im gonna go check today, sorry about not saying wat i did. i dried the cylinder and dist i dont know what the iacv is. thank for the adivice

Last edited:
Code retrieval is always one of the first steps on a 96 or later, since they are OBD2 codes can be extremely helpful in tracking down a problem. However it's entirely possible to run poorly with no codes.

So how does it run below 2700 rpm? Smooth idle, good throttle response?

Back