• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler vs 3 core radiator

Sc00ter

NAXJA Forum User
Was going to post this in another topic but didn't want to hijack the thread, soooo,

what would be the difference in installing a larger 3 core radiator vs a tranny cooler? My thought would be that the 3 core would obviously be more expensive, but it would be a cleaner installation and would benefit the whole engine vs having to add another airflow blocking heat producing device. Any thoughts?

Looking to tow on a limited basis. My XJ did not come with the factory tow package which included a transmission cooler. Having read several articles that suggested one be installed to protect the transmission, I am looking at other options. I really don't like the idea of blocking off a large section of the stock radiator with either a oem cooler or an aftermarket version. Just trying to see if anyone has tried this combination and looking to find out how it compares.

I use an OTA External Transmission Cooler and a 3 Core HD All Metal Radiator, Hi Flow Water Pump, Hi Flow Thermostat Housing & Thermostat.

It is better to bypass the Radiator and go with a 30,000 to 40,000 GVW Transmission Cooler so that there is better flow and cooling of Fluid especially if your XJ is Used for Crawling or Towing. IMHO I used to have to change out my Fluid every 6 months because it was burnt. It's Extremely hot in Tampa, FL

I Mounted mine Like GoJeep has his: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoCooler.htm

TaurusFan29_small.jpg

Some come with a External Thermal Bypass for Cold Climates others Not. If you live in a Cool Climate just Buy a Cooler with the Bypass. IMHO

heatchrt.jpg

Here is info from: http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/cooler-info.html

The most often asked question is should I bypass the radiator cooler when I install a auxillary cooler.
Most cooler manufactures and automobile manufactures information we have read, recommends installing the coolers In-Series with the factory radiator cooler for maxium cooling efficiency.
So unless the manufactures who have spent 1000's of hours testing different installations are wrong, the suggested cooler installation is in-series......
Transmission > Radiator cooler > Auxillary cooler > then Back to the transmission.
If you must bypass the radiator because the cooler tube is leaking or for other reasons, be sure to increase the size cooler you install by 1 to 2 sizes. I Bypassed the Radiator, I Live in Florida, and I go Offroad so that is why I went with the 40,000 GWV Cooler (.

Pickup Trucks, SUV's
Towing up to 7,500 lbs.
# Coolers with GVW ratings of 22,000 to 26,000 lbs.

HD Trucks, Motor homes
Towing up to 10,000 lbs.
# Coolers with GVW ratings of 22,000 to 30,000 lbs.

Super Duty trucks
Large Motor homes
# Coolers with GVW ratings of 28,000 lbs. and UP

transcharttemps.gif

* Millions of automatic transmissions fail every year from overheating. If you tow a boat, trailer, camper or drive in Stop & Go traffic you risk overheating your transmission fluid.When your transmission fluid reaches 200o it starts breaking down.
* Transmission coolers help extend the life of your transmission fluid and can prevent transmission failure from overheating.
* At 240 degrees varnishes form and transmission life expectancy is cut in half.
* At 260 degrees the transmissions internal seals and rubber parts harden and major damage starts.
* Above 295 degrees you transmission start slipping, clutches burn out and carbon forms.
* With each 20 degrees drop in operating temperature, your fluid and equipment life doubles.
* Installing a cooler before damage starts and by reducing the transmission fluid temperature by as much as 60o can greatly extend the life of your transmission.
* Installing a transmission cooler can prevent transmission burnout.

Tru-Cool 4739 MAX with Thermal Bypass Valve TC-4739
For Vehicles with 3/8" Transmission Lines
YOUR COST: $143.00

Source: http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=205

The Thermostat is set at 90 degrees according to Tech Support.

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=trucool-MAX-cooler

# 4739 Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler with external thermal bypass
The Thermostat is set at 90 degrees according to Tech Support.

Tru-Cool # LPD4739, 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch
3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs) Includes external thermal bypass for cold climates!

$140.00

# 47391 Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler *No external cold weather thermal bypass

# LPD47391 Tru-Cool 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 with 3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs)
*No external thermal bypass*Great choice for southern states where the winters are mild.

$118.00

# 4921-1 Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler (Medium Max)

3/8" hose barbs on side of cooler.
Size 6 x 23 x 3/4 inch
WITHOUT external thermal bypass!
12 plates, 30,000 GVW / 34,000 BTU ratings

$92.00

# OTA Cooler

Part No. 4739
Price: $129.95

40,000# GVW rating transmission oil cooler. 8 1⁄2 x 22 3⁄4 x 1 1⁄4 193 sq. in. cooling area Reduces heat related failures during severe duty conditions such as towing or exhaust brake usage. BTU Rating 45,000

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/ford/e4od/forde4odcoolers.html

40000otacooler.jpg

Hope this will help someone.

Food for thought, my tranny never over heated untill i installed a 3 row radiator. I added what i believe is a 40,000 GVW tranny cooler and no problems since. Thats good info you have there CHER96. The thing is, once you upgrade one thing its just a waterfall of other upgrades that have to follow. IMHO if your cooling system is good just add a good tranny cooler and save a few hundred dollars and call it a day.

That is EXACTLY what I needed to know! The only crawling I do is into bed after too many beers, the towing was what worried me. Thank you all for the replies.

Scooter

I agree that the first thing you want to do is install a tranny fluid temp gage. When you modify anything like this, you want to make sure that you REALLY make it better. I do think that Cher's quoted site understates the ability of tranny fluid to withstand heat by a fairly wide margin. XJ radiators, and no doubt tranny fluid, runs at 210 to 220 on a normal basis with normal transmission life exceeding 200k miles. I would run full synthetic transmission fluid to deal with heat also.

Food for thought, my tranny never over heated untill i installed a 3 row radiator. I added what i believe is a 40,000 GVW tranny cooler and no problems since. Thats good info you have there CHER96. The thing is, once you upgrade one thing its just a waterfall of other upgrades that have to follow. IMHO if your cooling system is good just add a good tranny cooler and save a few hundred dollars and call it a day.

Why, how did upgrading to a 3 row radiator make your tranny overheat?

I wonder if the trans cooler in a 3 row gets the same amount of air flow as stock. I like the idea of a remote cooler with a electric fan, and a trans temp gauge is a very good idea.

Why, how did upgrading to a 3 row radiator make your tranny overheat?

Honestly i dont know, about two days after i installed the 3 row i drove up the same hills ive been driving for months and the tranny puked fluid everywhere, with the 2 row i had no problems, that happened twice on the same exact hill about a week apart. Also the electric fan stopped kicking on completely with the 3 row which could have contributed because the fan is right in front of the tranny cooler inside the radiator.. Nonetheless i put a external tranny cooler on and put the e-fan on a switch and havent had problems since.

Back