• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major random darting/wander

crawlnfool

NAXJA Forum User
I search but didn't come up with what i was looking for.....I have a 96 XJ and my problem is it darts all over the road badly when i hit a line/crack in the road or just does it randomly. Also the inside of both front tires are wearing bad and FAST and just get worse every day. I took it in for a alignment about a month ago it seems to track straight but im not wondering if there is something wrong with the alignment. My tires were perfect before i took it in and now the are wearing like mad almost completely bald on the inside edge! When i stand in front of the Jeep it looks to be toed out quit a bit but im no expert. Would being toed out cause the random darting back and forth and bad inside tire wear? Or do i have a more sevier issue?

thats chamber ball joints are bad or need adj. ball joints !! ? i had have the same issue i put in adj. ball joints off ebay 4 149.00 still not right ( didnt adjust right but thats another subject ) if tires sre wearing on inside then cambers off !!??

You have a Toe Out condition (or positive toe). You definitely need another alignment. To get an idea about toe out, F1 race cars use 2 to 5 degrees of toe out to get better "turn in" on corner entry, but because the car darts so bad in the straightaways with toe out, they counteract it with 1-2 degrees toe in in the rear (less is needed in the rear because of the engine weight and downforce over the rear axle in an F1 car, toe in acts as a boat anchor hanging off the back of the car). Any little bump on the trail can jack up your alignment, I once climbed a concrete pillar with a light pole on it to get a photo of flex, had to get an alignment just because of that single pillar.

Last edited:
It's a straight axle, do your own alignment. It's very easy to do! Check for worn parts first of course, if your ball joints are worn out you have to do that first.

Here's a link that will help you. GoJeep alignment

Back