• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portable winch Yeah or neah

playwithit

NAXJA Forum User
I am rebuilding an old Ramsey REP8000 to be my portable winch. Trying to keep it as light as possible, but it's kinda heavy even without the rope. The cable is a 5/16" Masterpull, rated at 13k lbs +. I've heard mixed reviews about this winch rope. I know they are a sponser. I will leave feedback

Fun project, and could be useful on the trail. I hope it's not to much of a pain to use. Seems like when you need a winch most, conditions are usually the worst. But, invaluable as well when you need it most.

I have heard alot of opinions regarding the portable winch idea, what say you?
jeep006-1.jpg

jeep004-2.jpg

jeep003-1.jpg

p.s. I got a few sets of Warn battery cables, 6' of #2 with 5/16" lugs - $12.00 a set of 2 (black/red) delivered- pm me if interested

Last edited:
I like the idea, especially if you are wheeling alone. Pulling from the front may just not be an option.

Even wheeling with others, it certainly would have been nice not to have to turn the winch-rig around and get it into position when pulling from the rear would have saved a good amount of time.

I say nay because what happens if you get stuck and your front hitch isnt accesible because of a rock or something and you cant get out by winching back?
I would rather have a permanent winch mounting in the front so i can use it and use that in the rear if you need to.

I have the same set-up but with a Warn 9000ti. It does stick out a little bit (I've slammed it in to a rock or two, but fortunately the cradle is surprisingly sturdy), but I like that I can use it on the front or the back, as well as on my pick-up (I'm too cheap to buy one for each vehicle).

Nay?
I guess it would be easier to use someone elses winch, unless I'm alone.

I could sell it or move it to a bumper if it's a hassle.

I do see the downsides mentioned, but hope the upside out weighs it.

Back