• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 4.0 XJ wont crank

bigair696

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, new to this forum.
My 96 zj (hit wrong button in heading) wont crank over when I turn the key to the starting position. Not getting anything, no starter clicking. I have read previous posts about the nss and tried to start it in neutral and have slammed the shifter back and forth. Still wont start. I have replaced the starter thinking it was that but Im almost positive that it was fine before I replaced it. (The guy at autozone said it was bad, yeah right!)If I hold the key forward for about a miniute sometimes it will start. When it cranks over it starts right up(strongly). Need help please Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't understand. You say in won't crank, then you say it "seems" like it cranks after you hold the key on for about a minute.

Is it accurate to restate that: "When I turn the key to the start position, nothing happens for about a minute, and then it cranks and starts?"

If so, does it crank strongly?

Sounds like a bad neutral safety switch. I've bypassed them at the plug at the trans dipstick. Sorry don't remember which wires,check your service manuel

Good Luck

Nick

Re: 97 4.0 ZJ wont crank

Well I was dead in the water again when I wanted to leave from the lake. I crawled under the truck and jiggled the NSS wires and it fired up. I will be checking the wires out today. Hopefully its something simple as a wire worn through. Does anyone know which wires should have power when you hit the key??

Back