• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i just installed a 2" lift now my steering shakes at 50mph, help?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i did a 2" lift coils with a temporary set of blocks for the rear, stock height shocks, it drove fine for like a week had very minor vibe's in the steering wheel around 47-52mph (approx) during acceleration no biggy right, i went down to get my tire's rotated and rebalanced, and now at the same speed i have the vibes but only now if i apply the brakes i get a nasty front end shake, i figured hell i'll try for a band-aid and put on a pro-comp es2000 steering stablizer to try and fix it... well the braking vibes calmed down but didnt fix it... its driveable it just sucks not being right. i havent aligned it after the fix but it drives straight, at 65mph i can let go and it will track perfectly straight. so i didnt think that was the case.

anyone have any ideas on what is my likely problem? i was thinking about replacing all my tie rod ends but if theres another fix i'll welcome the help.

if i think of anything more i'll add to this. but thats all i can think of for now.

Just because you can let go of the wheel and you track straight, doesn't mean your steering isn't messed up. Going up in height with an inverted Y steering set up will change the toe. You should get an alignment, it will save your tires, and it could help with your shaking.

How are your bushings looking? Did you do anything with the trackbar?

no we didnt do anything with the track bar, well we stood on the passenger side to squeeze the coil in... but no new track bar and when i jacked t he front up to put the stablizer on, it felt solid... me hammering on the stablizer to get it out im sure didnt help lol. i still need an alignment thou so i'll look into that and hope it helps

no we didnt do anything with the track bar, well we stood on the passenger side to squeeze the coil in... but no new track bar and when i jacked t he front up to put the stablizer on, it felt solid... me hammering on the stablizer to get it out im sure didnt help lol. i still need an alignment thou so i'll look into that and hope it helps
check the trac bar out. make sure the bushings axles end and the tre bracket side are tight and in good shape.also make sure the bracket is tight.and double check everyting eolse also.bushings on control arms etc.and get a alignment also.

check the trac bar out. make sure the bushings axles end and the tre bracket side are tight and in good shape.also make sure the bracket is tight.and double check everyting eolse also.bushings on control arms etc.and get a alignment also.

alright, ill prolly take to to my own personal mechanic... he wont screw me so he will address the problem and fix what needs to be fixed.

If you lift the body up and away from the suspension and do not lenghthen the track bar, then it will pull the front end over slightly, they say its not enough to "matter", but I like my stuff to track true, If your on a budget, you can just cut the bar in half, slide a piece of pipe over it, get the front centered, tack weld it, then full on weld it and "wala", your centered. The bushings and bolts in the ends of the track bars cant have slack, this will allow the front end to move side to side which enables front end "shake", do whatever you have to to correct the track bar slack. Adjust your toe in, that oughta do it.

fix your toe. Come on people, don't throw money a parts when you don't even know if it's in alignment or not. And it isn't after 2" of lift. Your toe in is too much and that causes death wobble, break out the tape measure and fix it.

It sounds like something came loose. Most likely the track bar. Check all your bolts that you undid and tighten them up that may save you a trip to the shop.

If you lift the body up and away from the suspension and do not lenghthen the track bar, then it will pull the front end over slightly, they say its not enough to "matter",\

i run 2 xj's at 3"-4", on stock tracbars, neither have EVER experienced deathwobble....
the only jeep in the corral to experience dw was at 5.5 w/ a tnt tracbar....
jeep logic is differant than math.
ive been hearing this argument sinse my first day browsing naxja, its just not true IMHO....

get an alignment, or at least do a tape measure allignment at home for your toe in.

jeep needs to be aligned after lifting

Anything over 2 inches. There are tons of guys on here who have done BB with no noticeable effects. That said I would do it anyways.

i'll get it aligned tomorrow and hopefully it fixes it, if not i'll trial and error it until i find out what was wrong, then post back as to what fixed it =)

Anything over 2 inches. There are tons of guys on here who have done BB with no noticeable effects. That said I would do it anyways.

I won't disagree that an alignment "inspection" is a good idea, but I will argue that any lift over "xx" NEEDS track bar or alignment, I just completed a junk yard lift this weekend and have NO PROBLEMS (yet) I'm at least 4" (rear is almost 5") lifted and the only difference I find is a stiffer ride and the tiniest driveline vibe from the slip yoke. I guess my point is there are no hard and fast rules on an XJ, just a lot of dependable advice...

other than installing new coils and bastard leafs, with new shocks all around, I've changed nothing else...

Back