• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pilot bearing question

NVRwheels

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I am currently swapping a 4.0 that came from an auto to my XJ which has an ax-15. I got a new clutch kit and went to install it on the new engine with the flywheel but it of course doesn't have a pilot bearing.

The clutch kit came with a new pilot bearing but not that bushing thing that goes around it. So I guess i need to order the bushing, put the pilot bearing in it and then put it on the engine is this correct?

OK so I am currently swapping a 4.0 that came from an auto to my XJ which has an ax-15. I got a new clutch kit and went to install it on the new engine with the flywheel but it of course doesn't have a pilot bearing.

The clutch kit came with a new pilot bearing but not that bushing thing that goes around it. So I guess i need to order the bushing, put the pilot bearing in it and then put it on the engine is this correct?

Unless I'm missing something (which is vaguely possible,) you would have either a bushing or a bearing to guide the input shaft pilot - not both.

The pilot bore size may be different between the AW4 and the AX-15 (especially since the AX-15 is known to use two different pilot sizes - ~5/8" and ~7/8") and that may complicate ordering a bushing/bearing for use here. Have you a set of calipers to take an accurate measurement? Once you know the ID and OD of the bearing/bushing you need, you can probably pillage through a Timken, NSK, or BCA bearing dimension catalogue and find what you need.

Once you do, please post the data you collected and the bushing/bearing you ordered so that others can be helped (since, as you can see from the post above, your problem is not unique.)

Conversely, if you can obtain measurements that are accurate, you can post them and one of us can help locate the thing for you. NB: If you don't know how to use precision measuring tools, I suggest taking three separate measurements and posting them all - which will let us figure out an average (or, more typically, you end up with two identical measurements and a "flyer" under the Law of Averages,) and we can interpret those instead.

Your clutch kit came with a pilot bearing? That is different from the throw-out bearing, right? You do need to get the pilot bearing that fits in the end of the crank.
Read the links at the bottom of this page and you'll see a lot more about it.

my kit did come with a new pilot bearing. on the old engine it had the pilot bearing pressed into a sleeve then pressed into the crank. i pulled the old pilot bearing and it is a different size than the new one, so i can't just pull the sleeve and re use it.

Well i ordered a bushing through autozone for a 1996 XJ so all see if it fits tom. when it gets in if not im gonna be pissed. I wasn't aware their were dif. size pilot bearings.

the pilot bearing that came with my kit doesn't even fit on the output shaft of the tranny, so i ordered a new pilot bearing for the ax-15, and it says it comes with the sleeve so we'll see what happens on tues when it arrives.thanks for the help guys

Back