• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which intake

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
so i have researched this topic and didnt find exactly what i was looking for.

i want to mount my ARB compressor by my intake but i have no room. so i was thinking of getting an aftermarket intake that will give me more room to mount the compressor. what is a cheap yet decent brand of intake to get? oh ya and i have a 98 cherokee 4.0L

I've got the same plan. No room in the typical compressor mounting location due to ABS equipment. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with what's available for intakes these days. I bought the K&N FIPK back when it was one of the only intakes on the market. It's not the cheapest out there, but I think I'm going to be able to make the space (and improve my filtration) by simply switching out the filter element. It's been a little while since I researched it, but IIRC I was planning on using the Amsoil EaAU3050 listed on this page. The dimensions are similar to the K&N that came with the FIPK other than that it is only 5 inches long instead of 8 or 9 inches. This should leave enough room for the Viair compressor I'm planning on installing.

Living in CA I also have to deal with CARB regulations to pass my smog test. The fact that the K&N FIPK is CARB certified is a major bonus for me. I don't think changing out the filter media should void that certification.

Research doing a crossover like the Wrangler. It puts the filter on the passenger side - the a/c lines are there, but that might work for some. I've tested a 5.0 HO filter housing and can shut the hood on it over there.

Aftermarket filters from Airaid, Spectre, etc are at parts houses. The real trick is to get cold air induction, most suck up hot underhood air and actually lose power.

Some have modded the bottom of the filter box for clearance by cutting out the offending section and reversing it, then sealing it up. There seems to be a lot of dead space under the filter, much less the tiny hole at the front pointed at the back of the headlight. Great intake location.

Back