• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reinforcing rain gutters

muleequipped

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever done anything to reinforce the gutters so that they would be super strong for mounting a rack up there? I have heard about people ripping off their gutters before, I just want to avoid any future problems.

Ive never heard of anyone ripping a rain gutter off, not to say its never happened but I dont think its common. I have heard of people bending and crushing them.
Youve just given me an idea. Rain gutter skid protection. A simple bar that mounts to the rain gutter to keep the gutter and the rest of the body off the rocks and trees.

Ray H said:
Ive never heard of anyone ripping a rain gutter off, not to say its never happened but I dont think its common. I have heard of people bending and crushing them.
Youve just given me an idea. Rain gutter skid protection. A simple bar that mounts to the rain gutter to keep the gutter and the rest of the body off the rocks and trees.
Genious! You could call it a "roof slider" or an "exo cage". Nah, just picking on you. I'm looking at doing something similar in the future. I've come waaaay too close to bashing my gutter/roof there a few times and want something to slide on. Search for "roof slider" and you'll see what me and Ray are talking about. Some of them look really sweet.

i could have sworn that i saw "roof-sliders" somewhere online awhile back. cannot find them again now. could have used those when i bounced the roofrail off a large rock. smashed the rail a little, but at least i didn't break my window. :gee:

In the NW your roof either looks like this

100_1950.jpg

Or you have these

100_2054.jpg

Olympic Top Hat. Its cheap, ugly, but it works

XJourney said:
100_2054.jpg

Olympic Top Hat.
Its cheap, ugly, but it works

Cheap my ass!

$350 is cheap??

:dunno:

Cheaper than fixing smashed gutters.
How about rails that bolt or clamp to the gutters. I know someone can make them and sell them for less than $200.

Never seen these for sale ,but i have a couple of pics of the ones I want to build.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

I cant even remember where I found the pics.

This looks like PAT's XJ
OH, and I have ripped off my rain gutter on the drivers side.
bowhunter said:
Never seen these for sale ,but i have a couple of pics of the ones I want to build.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

bowhunter said:

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

I have plans of building them and mounting my Surco or a new homebuilt rack to them. Like I said not sure who's XJ but thanks to Pat if its his.

bowhunter said:
I have plans of building them and mounting my Surco or a new homebuilt rack to them. Like I said not sure who's XJ but thanks to Pat if its his.
It's Pat's.

:wave:

I was looking for ideas like a rail that clamps on like was mentioned. Even been thinking about pulling off the gutter lip and welding on some 1/4" or 3/8" rod stock the full length of the gutter. Then Painting it obviously. I guess I could just run with the OEM rails until I have problems then fix them up like that.

Well, my gutter doesn't look like XJourney's, but I have had a couple run ins with trees and the gutter, amazed that I didn't bust mine up more when I slid into this three, and had the notch been an inch up, it would have looked like his, and inch down, smashed window. The guy I was with was amazed I didn't smash it.

MP12_TREE.jpg

Copyof100_0074.jpg

I know that Farmboy used to make a rack that provided protection, I don't think they do anymore.

IntrepidXJ said:
surco will not be strong enough unless you reinforce it. just ask my busted surco rack ;)
I have already started to reinforce my Surco.
Lined both sides with diamond plate.
aaa.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

When twisted customs was building on their XJ, way back in 99, they took 1" tube formed it to the rain gutter and welded it on. They recommended I do the same, which I need to get on it soon.

not trying to jack a thread, but figured it was a good place to say this

OK, it's official, Pat and I built the roof sliders. If you are interested let one of us know. We are considering making a couple of these, but wanted to check the interest first.

Conditions for purchase:

The only jig we have is Pats 1998 XJ, if your factory roof rack doesn't have the same bolt pattern, then it's a no go.

If you do have a different year, then brint it to the barn.

Its one giant part and I can't imagine the shipping, so hopefully I would see you at an event, or you live near. No shipping.

PREPAY, hopefully you trust me with your money, I'm broke, and I am not fronting the cash. If you don't trust Pat or I with your cash, then make your own.

I'm not starting a business just to sell one of these things, so if you want one, you need to be a paying NAXJA member and a "friend" of mine. As a friend you would just be paying me for the tubing, tooling, and beer involved.

Price, I have an idea, but what do you think they are worth.

Please PM

Thanks
Gene

Gene I might be interested , if the price is right.

Haleyes said:
Cheap my ass!

$350 is cheap??

:dunno:

Well I got mine when they where 300 shipped. But if you find $350 expensive, then in my opinion you are in the wrong sport.!!!1

And that isn't my roof, it is Ecksjay's

Back