• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ - Roof basket or swing out tire carrier?

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got a shitty Sportrack installed now, but it's mounted to the stock roof bars. I've been meaning to build a new one for a while to decrease the profile while making it full length/width.
I've also wanted a swing out tire carrier for a while now, for two reasons.
1. Get the weight off the roof.
2. Gives me a good spot to mount my bikes.

Found a local guy who'll build me this bumper for about $475
3K53t33F25Lb5qb5H6d6hb2e551f495bb18e6.jpg

He can do any other fab work I want and he's super cheap (for Canada).
I'm trying to decide between going with a proper basket, or swing out carrier, or both.

Weighing pros and cons here and hoping someone can tip the scales.

Basket:
Pros:
* Huge storage space
* Fun spot to ... ride on I guess. I'm sure my daughter would love wheeling from the roof :)

Cons:
* Increases centre of gravity.
* Decreases garage options (garages here are all real short, and we've been looking for a new place specifically for a garage big enough for Jeeps)
* Slight increase in wind resistance (though i'm still getting 23mpg now, so i'm not super concerned).

Tire carrier:
Pros:
* Decreased centre of gravity

Cons:
* Increased overall length (sucks for those tight spots in the bush)
* Decreased ground clearance on steep climbs
* Poor rear visibility.

So what's the community think? I was considering doing both, but then I sorta get the best of and worst of both worlds. Decreased visibility and ground clearance, increased centre of gravity, height, length, but tonnes of storage, a hard point for my bikes.
I love the convenience of the rear mounted spare, but I've NEVER popped a tire so I can't imagine the convenience of the tire location ever paying off. Either way I need a spot to mount 2-4 bikes, and I hate bike racks, and the swing out tire is perfect for the occassion, but not sure it'll justify the ground clearance and near zero visibility.

Chime in? Going to see the guy about design today.

*edit* This is my DD as well as trail rig. I'm usually on the trails every weekend. Lots of awkward and steep climbs. I figure roof mounted tire throws off my COG but the rear mounted might contact on big climbs. I use the hatch often. I have a 6.5" LA lift so my COG is already pretty high. That said, I've had my 31" spare on the roof forever and never felt like I was goona tip.

Last edited:
If you go with a tire carrier make sure the bumper ties into more than just the bumper mounts. It should also tie into the frame rail. The bumper you have pictured will soom crack the sheet metal.

3Mf3s53Hf5Nf5sc5t1d6hf283218e6cc6187a.jpg

This is the other side. 10 point mount. I thought this looked pretty sturdy? Am I missing something?
The guy who builds them says they're setup for towing.

Nope. You need to tie into the frame rails. That bumper mounting is for stock.

I'm not reallly sure what you mean. Looking under my jeep, this bumper looks like it bolts directly to the frame. Either way, he'll build whatever i want. Just trying to decide between roof rack or tire carrier.

Remove the bumper--in your mind--under where those 4-bolts per side reside is the inside of the frame rails.

What he is telling you that the sheet metal at the A* end of the XJ won't support much weight for very long, nor would it stand up to TOWING or as a RECOVERY POINT.

Now, if that was tied into the unibody "frame" it looks great.

Personally, I want both--a Surco roof rack and Detour's Tailbone rear tire carrier.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1079325

^^^^^ please look closely at the bumper mounts in the above link!! You will see exactly what these guys are talking about. The longer "tie-ins" are for inside the frame rail. You have to cut out a square piece of the sheet metal within the area of the 4 mounting holes.

If you can get the builder to include something like that in the bumper design you have pictured above, it would be a pretty stout bumper. Cant think of anything else off the top of my head that's wrong with the design.

Last edited:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1079325

^^^^^ please look closely at the bumper mounts in the above link!! You will see exactly what these guys are talking about. The longer "tie-ins" are for inside the frame rail. You have to cut out a square piece of the sheet metal within the area of the 4 mounting holes.

If you can get the builder to include something like that in the bumper design you have pictured above, it would be a pretty stout bumper. Cant think of anything else off the top of my head that's wrong with the design.

Ah Jesus. That's 'splained it. I thought that was a structural cross member. I've never had a chance to get a close look.

Yea, I'll definitely make sure he ties directly into the frame. We can just use the tie-ins from my hitch. Thanks guys.

D-rings - Not sure what we're goona do with those yet. I told him I didn't want them there as well, though what do you mean by "welded d-rings" ? Is there some single piece d-ring and mount that's been forged?

Thanks for the input on the bumper, but the thread is still supposed to be about pros and cons between basket and tire carrier. I'm leaning towards both now after I've seen some of this guys work. For what he's charging, and the quality of his work, it feels like I'm robbing him. Figure now might be a good time to invest in whatever welding and fabrication I need done, as the typical rate for a welder here is around $100/h, usually not including supplies, and an hour gets you ... a weld washer installed at best. ;)

Seriously though, if you build the frame tie-ins into the bumper mount for the carrier, you will be able to carry just about anything you would put on a roof basket. Spare tire, gas cans, hi-lift, shovel, rear lights, etc. Anything except luggage.

Oh and you can even put a sweet trasharoo on the tire for more storage.

I had a roof basket on my last XJ with my spare strapped to it. That damn basket was a serious pita. Go with a bumper.

I have had both on my Xj for several years. The desert can be rough on tire sidewalls. Hoisting a tire in and out of a basket sucks. Basket is great for camping gear, etc, but not storing a spare. Plus if you're lifted, likely won't get it in a garage with a tire in a basket. In my opinion, go with the bumper first, plus it gives you some rear armour. Get a basket later.

I had my spare on my roof rack for years. I like the look and it didn't seem to overly top heavy. What I didn't like was the insane wind noise and the 2 mpg drop in mileage.

I say skip both and mount it inside - if you can get away with it.

Hoisting a spare to the roof stinks and having tons of weight(and leverage) hanging off the rear doesn't help anything in my opinion. It might not work if you need every inch of interior space. I gutted my interior and a 35" can be mounted upright even.

I have never had problem hoisting or retrieving my spare from the roof. Stand on rear tire, release the hold down, lift off spare.

No big deal. Ive had 5 flats over the past year.

And it looks awesome up there..........but I'm old school.

Back