• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hitch Wiring

tV8bird

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, guys...

Some years back I installed hitch wiring from U-Haul in my '99 XJ Classic. It was simple enough to install, but I wasn't crazy about the method of installation (blue "bite" connectors that close onto the existing wiring in order to add connections alongside each wire).

I now have a 2000 XJ Limited and it has no hitch wiring yet.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that you have used and like? I am trying to stay with the harness that I can just keep in the cargo area when not in use...

THANKS!

Last edited:
Tow-ready, Curt, (maybe even OEM MOPAR) etc may make a plug n pray apparatus. Otherwise, most are universal and need to be spliced into the factory wiring.
In theory, you can use a different method than the scotch locks. But, what would still require a splice of sorts.

Tow-ready, Curt, (maybe even OEM MOPAR) etc may make a plug n pray apparatus. Otherwise, most are universal and need to be spliced into the factory wiring.
In theory, you can use a different method than the scotch locks. But, what would still require a splice of sorts.

Thanks, Johnnie, for the response!

Funny you mention Curt. I have been scouring their lousy website for hours. You input your year/make/model/submodel, and it is supposed to narrow down results to tell you what specifically will fit your vehicle.

But when I check the installation instructions, it lists the wrong vehicle for the models checked off as "FITS YOUR VEHICLE". The ones not checked fit many others, so I've opened each PDF, one by one, and came up with two part numbers so far:

I'm guessing 55330 is for '84-'96 XJs, and that 55354 is for '97-'01 XJs.

I'd check with Curt, but I know what is going to happen: some operator will have the very same catalogue available that I am viewing and will be of little help.

Can anyone shed further light on the subject? I would like to be able to plug and play, like Johnnie Walker suggests, and that's been my intent all along.

Maybe someone knows another manufacturer that is less ambiguous and can share with me a part number???

Draw-tite or Hoppy.

Hoppy 310-0041-560

Curt C55354

Tow Ready 118354

Last edited:
Back