• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wtb magnaflow cat #39229 locally

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
i ordered a new cat from napa and the only carb legal one available was universal fit with 2 1/2" inlet/outlet. now i found that magnaflow has both universal and direct fit carb legal cats with 2 1/4" inlet/outlet. i dont know if the larger (2 1/2") cat will lessen any back pressure, but since this is a renix and the EGR valve is controlled by back pressure, i would like to stay with the 2 1/4". anyone know of any retail stores that carry the magnaflow #39229 direct fit, or #39005 universal fit so i can get one today? if not i can order it through jegs and have to wait a couple days. i need a muffler too, but that can be had anywhere.

Last edited:
2.5" Will be fine honestly, And stock is 2.5"in/2.25"out .So for a straight 2.5" cat a 2.5">2.25" reducer would be required (or something similar). I got my 14" 4x9 Maggy on amazon for less than 50$ shipped. You could probably get both on amazon.

well i did find that orielys/kragen sells the magnaflows, but not in stock. my local kragen said she couldnt get the order to go through. so i went to my local muffler shop and he had them in. a few bucks more, but i also bought a muffler and paid cash so he gave me a discount.
not sure if the 2 1/2" would have made any differance on back pressure, but since the egr valve work on such a small amount of back pressure, i didnt want to mess with it too much. and my exhaust is definatly 2 1/4" on both my 89 and 87. i think the newer ones are 2 1/2"
thanks for the reply.

Back