• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield UV "tinting"?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
So, does anyone have opinions on wind shield UV film? I have a car that gets seriously hot inside and I've always suspected the windshield being the source. The PO said that he put a cheap piece of glass in and I've been told by a few people that cheap glass never has the UV protection of OE glass.

There seems to be many types of UV film these days with lots of people loving and hating them.

I know a good glass guy who can get me a quality piece of glass installed for about twice the cost of the UV film option. I however, don't know if the new glass will have any UV protection or if thats ever even an option.

I just want to survive the desert Sun. :flame:

UV is not what causes the car to heat up. It is what causes much of the cracking of the plastic.

What causes the heating is the infrared light. UV film will do very little to keep out the heat.

That is an excellent point. Any opinions on replacing the wind shield with a better quality one to keep heat out or is that not really a factor.

I swear you sit in this car you can feel the heat pouring through the windshield, sit in another car in the same conditions next to it and its not nearly as bad.

you want reflective metallic window tint.

obviously installed in compliance with your state laws.

Do you not have a sun shade capable of spanning your entire windshield?... On t/ hot ones here @ 5280' I'm saying it may cool your interior by some. When parked.

Last edited:
Do you not have a sun shade capable of spanning your entire windshield?... On t/ hot ones here @ 5280' I'm saying it may cool your interior by some. When parked.

I always put a sunshade up when parked but my problem is while driving...

3M makes several different grades of tint, their top o the line stuff is light and keeps you cool as can be. I would contact your good local tint shop.

Back