• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why Are We Exempt from Recall?

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
The automaker will recall 1.56 million 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty SUVs.The reason - The fuel tank is placed behind the rear axle and in a rear collision can cause fire. 50+ deaths have occurred. Chrysler's fix is to put a mopar hitch (free of course) to strengthen the rear. Now, Our XJ's are the same fuel tank platform but do our steel bumpers exclude us? I think the Grands and Liberty's have the plastic foam filled crap.

every grand and liberty I've seen has had the gas tank hang down pretty damn low compared to any XJ... maybe thats it.

FWIW my XJ came with a factory hitch and steel gas tank skid.

more likely, nobody cares about XJ owners. ;)

On that link to ALLPAR that was posted in Off Topic, the stats shown had the XJ 's with plastic tanks were safer than either Grand and a good bit safer than the KJ. IIRC, even the metal tank XJ's were still comparable to the Grands and still safer than the KJ!

I don't know anything about whether or not the XJ tank design is any more/less safe but if you recalled XJs you would at least have to recall '97-'01 as they were all the same. That's another 900K vehicles. And before then, the other tank design was the same from '86-'96. So you'd be recalling around 2 million vehicles, many of which are 20 years old (if not older.

FYI, production numbers pulled from here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cherokee-stock-specs-26256/

Wonder what they are going to do with frame rotted jeeps? There aren't too many ZJs up here that have rear frames left. Same for XJs too ...

Someone wants a free hitch.....

Just bringing this thread back due to a piece of mail I recieved today. I had a '94 ZJ Larado for a.short period in '98 and ended up in two wrecks with it, the second totalling it out about 15 years and 2 months ago. Dad sends me a text shortly before getting off work tonight saying I had a recall notice from Chrysler.......needless to say, I was a bit confused since I hadn't seen anything recall related in the news for our XJ's as well as any new ones for the 200 and Avenger sedans (the head restrain one was taken care of months ago), so I was a bit confused. Dad looked into it for me since I was running an errand for him before heading home after work, then forwarded it to me. Turns out it's for my long dead ZJ and is the above recall. Apparently, they want the dealership to inspect the unibody then have the dealership install a Mopar Parts trailer hitch if the truck doesn't have one (it did have one, so I would have been good there) for free. Oddly enough, the original owner of that ZJ bought it and had it maintained by the dealer I bought my 200 through, so I may run by there on Saturday to see what all we need to do so it's put in the system as a dead vehicle. Had a brake disk corrosion recall notice show up in the year after that wreck and I thought I had alerted Chrysler Corp it was no more, but somehow that didn't happen by the looks of it.

Back