• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Winch?

Just a FYI, the Milemarker 8K, 9K and 10K winches (I think e-series?) are exactly the same as the Harbor Frieght Winches, which are cheaper. They have the same parts (exaclty) and are made at the same place.

I too have a Warn 8274, awsome winch with super fast line speed.

Also take not that if you use the blue amsteal rope it has a temp rating of 300 c I think. I could have that wrong but my point is that on these low profile winches the drumes during long use will exceed that temp and could cause the rope to fail. also when using this rope it is said that you need to leave like 3 or 4 wraps on it drum. Just FYI

Also the 8274 is supposed to be the fastest winch there is. I could be wrong but from personal note mine is fast.

I've owned Warns, good winch....sure...sold them off......became a Superwinch distributer and learned that an excellent winch dosent need to have a 'W' on it or cost as much as they do. The EPi Series is outstanding, I've sold quite a few over the last 2 years, no returns or problems.

the superwinch pulls like a mule and it wont let u down, mine just pulled a downed pine tree up an embankment and i couldnt figure out why i had such a hard time till i got it to the top and found out i was pulling the whole root system with it it was still attached to the groung LOL

I have heard from owners of superwinch winches that they are strong, but they dont' handle the weather and elements like a warn does. These guy were mostly mud guys that the winch frequently got wet. I have never owned one so I can't comment on them, I just know my 8274 has never failed on my full size trail rigs. And it does have the fastest line speed, unless a new winch came out that is faster.

I've never actually needed a winch and have been wheeling for the last 9 years. I've never been in a situation where a tow strap and another vehicle or just a little brain power have not gotten me out/up.

That being said, I bought the Harbor Freight 9000 LB from a guy that bought it and just put it on a shelf for a year for $250. I keep it in the Jeep but have still not found a use for it. I made a reciever mount for it, which will fit the front or rear bumpers of my XJ. I just keep some long jumper cables in the Jeep to hook it up. I will be pretty surprised if I ever have to use my winch, but it's good peace of mind.

If you don't wheel alone, and have plenty of good recovery gear I wouldn't waste money on a brand new winch. Find a decent used one for emergencies and put it on a reciever mount. It's out of the weather, and out of your way whlie wheeling.

Jared:patriot:

Detour said:
Yup, I've owned an 8274, there fast, I sold it.....it has its flaws though.....

what flaws have you noticed?

nhrocker said:
From the two sites you just posted:
"The T-MAX recovery winch developed in the rugged Australia Outback"
"DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND MERCILESSLY TESTED IN AUSTRALIA"

I think that's kinda funny, seeing that the Tmax winches were designed and are built by T-MAX(Hangzhou)Industrial CO.,LTD. which is located in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, China. I never knew that Australia was in mainland China...

I'm not saying anything about the winches themselves...I've never seen them in use so I can't speak for that, I just thought the whole "from Australia" thing was funny...

They never said they were made in Australia, just designed there. Its marketing a-holes like me that come up with shaded-truths like that ;-).

Confessions from a marketing gangster....lol

DeadeyeJ, club rules out this way pretty much require the trail leader & the
tail gunner in some cases to have winch'es....now all clubs are abit different
so this may not apply to everyone. They do get used, and used fairly often.

What flaws?....Drivers side mounting bracket is not attatched to the assembly,
dont drop it.....that same pcs has a plastic bearing which the drum rides, the
disengage/free spool lever got difficult to operate after 2 years.....other than
that, its a great winch.

The Tabor 9K is a warn winch advertised as a beginner winch. Exact same parts as the warn parts, just not quite as "prettyed" up. My shop sells them for $525 to your door. (Performanceoffroadcenter.com)

Back