• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which AT Tire Has the Stongest Sidewall?

I think I'm going to go with the Yoko AT-S, because it looks like it also has some sidewall biting edges, albeit minimal, whereas the other options don't.

What do you think?

I think I'm going to go with the Yoko AT-S, because it looks like it also has some sidewall biting edges, albeit minimal, whereas the other options don't.

What do you think?
The retread is gonna come down over the edges a lil. Its an AT not an MT, the side lugs on an AT are minimal cuz they arent meant to get beat on like a MT.

The retread is gonna come down over the edges a lil. Its an AT not an MT, the side lugs on an AT are minimal cuz they arent meant to get beat on like a MT.

I hear ya. There's an area on the retread that adheres to the sidewall, so Treadwright might even have to remove the sidewall biters from the casing or at least cover them with the retread. Since the MT has side biters that are part of the retread not the casing, so you're right in saying that the ATG might have no side biters if the ATG retread covers them. I'm going to call Treadwight tomorrow and ask them about this. I appreciate the input!

Okay, my tires have been shipped, however I changed my order due to the urgency of needing new tires. I went with BFG AT casings because they were available for shipment immediately.

I've been poring through all the forums and have come to the conclusion that the majority of sidewall blowouts in the BFG AT and KM2 for that matter are due to having not been aired down when taken off road. Evidently, BFG built the sidewalls to be more compliant and the tire is much more capable off road when aired down to 20 psi. Obviously, you could go lower, but an average Joe like me that just wants to do forest trails, mud and water only if I have no other choice, and occasional short rocky sections will be okay by airing down to 20 psi when off road.

It turns out that our family is going to Alberta and British Columbia this summer, so I needed to get the tires pronto in order to go through a local "burn-in" period to ensure that they ride safely. Not because they're Treadwights, but because I do this with every tire purchase.

I appreciate everyones feedback and enjoyed the chat.:cheers:Doug

"If you don't air them down, they will go flat."

.. someone fed you BULLSHIT. ;)

Also, I have lost more BFG's aired down than not. ;)

"If you don't air them down, they will go flat."

.. someone fed you BULLSHIT. ;)

Also, I have lost more BFG's aired down than not. ;)
I'm with Cal, i always aired down and i completely trashed one tire and did some good damage to the others in a 4 month period. i liked the traction, but the sidewalls sucked.

Your not supposed to drive on the sidewall dan.
Also never had a sidewall problem with BFG, lost a bead once on the Rubicon, and have picked upa screwdriver in the tread before. A neighbor claimed it was his, and wanted it back, I told him I would trade for another 33. Still have the screwdriver.

I ordered 4 Treadwright ATG (C) on LT235/75/R15 BFG AT casings on May 23 and received them on May 25. I can't say enough good things about Treadwright's great customer service and quick shipping. I really like that they're taking a "green" approach by recycling tire casings. The total price was $378.60 for four tires including $70.60 for shipping. What a deal!

I got the tires balanced and mounted at the local Discount Tire on Saturday. My first impressions are quiet, smooth and surprisingly beefy. I've only put about 50 miles on them so far, so I can't vouch for their durability yet, but they ride very smooth and are very quiet. I love the tread pattern of the ATG because it resembles the Goodyear Wrangler Radials.

I'll post another update in the future once I get more miles on them and after I take them off road.

Your not supposed to drive on the sidewall dan.
Also never had a sidewall problem with BFG, lost a bead once on the Rubicon, and have picked upa screwdriver in the tread before.

Just for the sake of others reading this, driving on sidewall is very common (not sure about the OP's 235s) in rocks. I used the heck out of the swamper sidewalls on my CJ to great effect and never had a flat and watched many, MANY BFGs got bye bye. The type of rock can make a big difference too. The Hammers is full of sharp edged granite-type rock while the Rubicon rocks seem to be a little more rounded off.

That being said, my 33s are BFG KM2s and that decision was really difficult to make. But, I'm not in the rocks with the XJ like I was with the CJ.

Just for the sake of others reading this, driving on sidewall is very common (not sure about the OP's 235s) in rocks. I used the heck out of the swamper sidewalls on my CJ to great effect and never had a flat and watched many, MANY BFGs got bye bye. The type of rock can make a big difference too. The Hammers is full of sharp edged granite-type rock while the Rubicon rocks seem to be a little more rounded off.

That being said, my 33s are BFG KM2s and that decision was really difficult to make. But, I'm not in the rocks with the XJ like I was with the CJ.
Sean was just being a smartass, he wheels a lot.

I don't do rocks unless it's a short fairly easy section, because I only have a 2" BB on my 98 XJ. I think I'll be fine airing down to 20 psi when I go off road.

I'd post pictures of my new Treadwrights, but I don't think I can in this subforum. Can I post links to Photobucket or some other photo hosting site?
Still loving my new tires!

Back