• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with my trans.

TheIronSausage

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I'm a noob here, but full time gearhead and mechanic everywhere else. I bought a bone stock '84 2 door XJ with an AMC 2.5, a Borg Waner T4, and a NP 207. Everything's great except for the first gear in the T4 that's been shredded. I thought I had an AX4 in there until tonight, when I went to swap in an AX5.

Here's the question. What's the cheapest trans swap available to me? I've got an AX5 from bell housing to the NP 231. I've also got a Dodge NP 435 out of my Power Wagon, no bell or t-case. Yes, I take this off road. Yes, I will bang on it. However, I was also a European sportscar mechanic, and can drive around fragile parts.. If I end up with another shit T4, and have to double clutch all of the time, so be it. I think it's possible that the T4/5 has a 10 spline input shaft, whereas the AX4/5 has a 14 spline.

What's the least amount of junk I have to swap or modify to get all of my gears to work again? Cost is a big issue, as I run eight antiques as daily drivers. I like this wheezy little Jeep, but if it comes down to it, I'd like the v8 swap into my early Dart more.. I enjoy beating it up on the trails, and everything it's capable of. In that vein, it's perfectly capable off road with no first gear.. Just a mild inconvenience. Any ideas?

If you were closer, I'd say "come pick up the T4 sitting in my back yard."

Why can you not bolt in the AX5?

Maybe I can.. I don't know. I'm not sure if there's differences in lengths of driveshafts, input shaft configuration, etc.. I don't have the space to take it apart and leave it sit while I figure out an answer. What I've got "works" well enough to be driven, if you know how to downshift into first just so. I've got my cars, and customer's cars to get to in limited time and space.. I was hoping somebody had run into this before, and had a cheap and/or easy-ish solution. Are a T4 and a T5 the same size? I've no idea..

I think the AX 5 came out of a '95 YJ.. It's got what looks to be a crank angle sensor on the top of the bell housing. Am I looking at driveshaft modification with that? I know the AX4/5 are visually identical, and the AX4 could have come in my Jeep. but aren't they a different size than the T4/5? Just trying to get all of my ducks in a row. I'll also need to come up with a shifter.. the T4 shifter definitely won't fit, and the seller of the AX5 saved his for the AX15 he's putting in. Yes, I've got a hydraulic clutch, and the AX5 doesn't have the stoopid throwout bearing I hear so much about.

Last edited:

Your's looks exactly like this.....External slave, no goofy internal that always fails.

If you want to spend the money on a slave and clutch kit..........you should be good to go.

Just find you a fly wheel and clutch set for a 94 up.

Tell the seller that the AX5 shifter will not fit an AX15........tell him to give it to you.

Your's looks exactly like this.....External slave, no goofy internal that always fails.

If you want to spend the money on a slave and clutch kit..........you should be good to go.

Just find you a fly wheel and clutch set for a 94 up.

Tell the seller that the AX5 shifter will not fit an AX15........tell him to give it to you.

Will it fit the AX 15? I'm all for having fun, but I feel like empirical evidence will trump me spouting bullshit every time..

Back