• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tires do you guys recommend on a DD/weekend light trail jeep?

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I am completely new to offroading and I am looking for some advice. I have had my jeep for about 2 years and spent that time fixing little issues and learning how to work on her. As I said before I will be up around Ft Collins and ideally am looking to build a jeep that will be good for things you normally see on CO trails, this jeep probably wont spend much time in the rocks. Thats the plan for now anyway, lol.

I am looking for suggestions on tires that will be decent offroad and will be good around town as a DD.

So far I am looking at Guard Dogs from Treadwright, Goodyear Duratracs, and Firestone Destination MT's. Would these be suitable for what Im trying to do.

My truck right now has a 3in lift and 31's. I would like to stay with 31's if possible.

Thanks!

Yes

(didn't we just have this discussion? can we start adopting some Pirate4x4 mentallity in regards to a lack of "search function" useage?)

Sorry, didnt see post on the CO forum.

Ill check again.

No problem man, and I apologise. I've had a house full of in-laws for 3 days now and am very grumpy.

Duratracs are known to be a very good all around tire.

No problem man lol.

I should learn to search better, its all good.

A tread with an M&S rating will take you over a lot of mountian roads.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074368
There is the post on tire choices. I have heard that the duratrac's had a thin sidewall. If I were you which I had a set on my rig a long time ago during the first build, go with the bfg at. As for your other choices I wouldn't get a retread because I don't like the idea of going to low pressure for wheeling and possibly the tread separating. I won't to say they have a warning on their website for this. The guard dogs also know as the mtr are really noisy. Bfg at have a 50,000 trrad life warranty at most places. I would say do it right the first time or don't do it at all. You can go cheap on other things but tires is one think not to go cheap on.

Last edited:
I am on my third set of BFG AT/KO's and I like them but they don't do that great on snow pack and ice. I will probably sipe my next set.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If my ass werent a broke 35 yo heading back to college Id grabe the Maxxis bighorns,but........

I might sell my wheels and tires when I get out there and that should help pay for my new meats.

Thanks again.

Love my Wrangler Duratracs. I've been mostly on the street but have done great on trails and in the deep snow out here.

https://www.treadwright.com/p-9-31-10-50r15-warden-a-t.aspx

Under $100 a tire too. I couldn't be happier. (Though I wish I went with the MT)

Ya I run those in a 245/75/16 with the kedge grip in a load range E. I see that they now offer the same size in a load range C, I would have gone with the C had they been available at the time. The E's are super heavy!

However I do have to say they get excellent traction! If I was needing new winter tires I would consider the 245/75/16 with kedge in a load range C.

Back