• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I got for Christmas...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
I figure since everyone else is posting what they got, I might as well get in on it... This may only be a small surprise to some of you, who might have caught comments before - but I figure an explanation is due anyhow.

What did I get? I got to stay alive. Actually, I may have gotten to "come back" to life - but what's the difference?

On 08NOV2005, I got hit by a car. I got hit on highway 85 during evening commute - and I was in the commuter lane when I got hit - so it was someone who was actually moving fairly well.

The XJ is fine - I wasn't in it at the time. So, I got bounced off the front of whatever hit me (I don't remember.)

As I may have mentioned to some of you before, I am on the mend and doing quite well - after six weeks, most of the fractures have either healed, or are set in place enough to finish healing.

Here's the funny thing - I don't remember ANY of it - from the week-end before to some time after I came home from the hospital (I spend four and a half days in "under observation") - and since I didn't get any surgery to set anything (all fractures were "non-displaced") and the brain trauma settled down on its own, I don't have any new scars or stitches to tell me what happened, either. Just some "road rash" scars on and around my elbow that weren't there before.

It came as a shock to my wife - she was getting ready to leave from work, and checked the traffic on the way home. Found a loose description of my vehicle involved in a "fatality" wreck. Given my sense of humour, I figure I was actually dead for a short time (>30-60 seconds) and they had the sheet over me, then while they were trying to get things under control, I probably croaked out "Where'd everybody go?"

I'm still a bit in disbelief about it - like I said, no new major scars, no stitches, and NO recall about anything, from several days before the accident to about a week later (I'm still working on the "hole," but I don't really care about the hospital stay. I'm really just interested in about 10-15 minutes leading up to the key incident,) but we figure it was a combination of a misplaced "hero" impulse and the sudden failure of a bad knee. Don't know - and it's only an intellectual exercise anyhow, just a desire to not repeat mistakes.

The short list of what I'm healing from (and no wonder it's taking so damn long!)
Non-displaced fracture, 5-7th left rib, posterior aspect
Non-displaced fracture, left side, lower pelvic arch (HEALED!)
Non-displaced fractures, shattered frontal and temporal skull, both sides
Assorted "road rash" on left side of body (HEALED!)
Subdural hematoma ("bleeding on the brain"), right frontal lobe (HEALED!)
Petechial hemorrhaging of the frontal lobe (HEALED!)

So, I think having my health is quite the gift for the holiday - although I do wish I could recover my memory. For all who have wished me well and asked what happened - thank you. For all of you who wonder what's been going on on my end, I'm mostly off the pain meds, and should be back to normal soon...

Upshot? For the second time, killing me has resulted in mildly improved health - with all the doctors I've been seeing, I've noted about a 20/15 drop in blood pressure, and my resting pulse is a bit lower - just like last time I died (for a minute and a half - bled to death in the emergency room. Y'ask me, tho, and I still say that dying will lend perspective to everything, and give you a better feeling of what's important. And, it's "proven" my marriage - it's been quite the acid test. It would seem that I have chosen well...)

Oh - if anyone was on Highway 85 around De Anza Boulevard at about 1800-1830 on 08NOV, and saw anything that might be useful, PM me? I haven't had a chance to get a police report yet. I have no ill will toward the woman who hit me (she was a nurse, and that's probably got a lot to do with why I survived this after all!) - but I'm still a bit curious. I don't even know the make of car that hit me, and they had it cleared away before my wife got there to retrieve my truck...

Oh - and I've lost ten pounds. My doctor's been after me to lose some weight for a while... Knew I forgot something - you've just got to look for positive aspects of events like this...
5-90

Last edited:
Glad to hear your still with us.. Get better, and take care.. Ive had to learn to walk 2 times since Ive been in my twenties, and I understand, I lost some memory of the incidents but the injuries were caught on tape... I still cant believe the tapes

I only had to learn to walk once - when I blew my knee in 1991. Spend eleven weeks in a wheelchair, and had to grow all new cartilage.

Anyhow, I'm no stranger to trauma - or hospital stays.

ca. 1976 - Pneumonia, iron lung for two weeks.
ca. 1977 - Internal poison ivy (too close to a fire) - iron lung for a month.
1990 - Gunshot wound - base of neck/upper back. Three weeks hospital
1991 - Gunshot wound - right shoulder. Reconstruction of shoulder
1991 - Stab wound, upper left thigh. Severed femoral artery (this one killed me - the first time.)
2005 - Hit by car - listed previously. This might have killed me as well.

This doesn't count minor traumas - that I handled on my own - or other "incidents" (like the time I had to dig a broken needle out of my left foot - about 1982. Or the time I broke my hand. Or...)

Anyhow, I think I've proven myself difficult to kill (at least, it feels that way) and I'm still happy to be here - wherever "here" turns out to be. Problem is, I don't think anything where I've been significantly harmed has been "caught on tape" - Hell, I've had a hard time finding witnesses. I can understand the loss of memory (brain trauma,) but, dammit, I don't like having the hole in my memory - and I'd like to be analyse the incident so I don't have a repeat...

5-90

Are you sure you have never been shot in the forehead with a .22? :D

Sorry, could not resist.

Back